Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, as you can see im very new here so im going to ask lots of questions, this site is great.
i want to change out my wire rope with a amstal blue replacement line i purchased. my question is on my commander 1000xt there is a plastic winch guard in front of the winch. does this unit pop out or do i have to remove the bumper and front plastic fairings to access the winch in order to replace the line. or is there a super simple way to accomplish this, being very inexperienced im sure some of you find this hilarious. thanks for any incite and hope you all have a great weekend. cheers

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think I read to pop off the mud guards, one on either. Once you remove those you can access to winch. Let me know how it goes as I'll soon be doing this also

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just installed a wire winch. I believe you'll need to remove the mud guards that protect the radiator, then the fair lead then I'd remove the plastic shroud from the front bumpers to give you working room. At this point I'd romove the bottom roller on the fair lead so you can remove the wire from it. Now you're ready to run the wire off until it runs all the way out. Then install the synthetic as per your winch manufacturers instructions. Are you planning on using the fairlead with the synthetic, or are you going to use a hawse? Good luck.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Easy to do take off side guards remove bumper 4 bolts take off entire black piece guard only few places that have screws star heads. Takes 5 mins for me now then u can access everything I just installed my second new winch n put on sun rope Amsteel blue

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just installed a wire winch. I believe you'll need to remove the mud guards that protect the radiator, then the fair lead then I'd remove the plastic shroud from the front bumpers to give you working room. At this point I'd romove the bottom roller on the fair lead so you can remove the wire from it. Now you're ready to run the wire off until it runs all the way out. Then install the synthetic as per your winch manufacturers instructions. Are you planning on using the fairlead with the synthetic, or are you going to use a hawse? Good luck.
thanks for taking the time to respond to my question moutaincat very much appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I read to pop off the mud guards, one on either. Once you remove those you can access to winch. Let me know how it goes as I'll soon be doing this also
update: i did as mentioned in the responses i removed the front bumper (4) bolts i also removed the front mud guard (6) t30 screws i believe i removed the four fair lead rollers so i could access the the nut on the back of the allan key type bolt, i used a crows foot wrench to get in behind. spooled out the old wire (be sure not to lose the little wedge) 6 beer, tiny wedge not fun. spooled in the new line and re installed. took about 45 min. 15 of that was looking for the rope wedge.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Good job.

Sounds a lot harder than it really is. Was it really a 6 beer job? LOL!!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I left the wedge in my tool box and tied my rope to the drum. I removed the roller fairlead and changed out my wire for synthetic and added a hawse fairlead. I also carry a 50' synthetic extension rope.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Where is the wedge n how do I get the cable out of the warn that comes in a limited

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
The wedge is actually a little steel piece. The cable goes through the drum and is looped with the wedge in the loop keeping the cable from pulling back through the drum. On my XT I removed the rollers unwound the cable and found the loop with the wedge pulled the cable out, removed the wedge and you can pull the cable through. Make sure if your replacing the cable with synthetic there is no rough areas like gouges/ cuts in the drum and fairlead that can cause your synthetic rope to frey.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
So how do I get the wedge out. Hit it from what side. Help lol

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Once you pull the looped cable out of the drum it will fall out.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I can't get it to pull out it's wedged in there good I took off fair lead and unspooled all the way n now I'm stuck lol help

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Try spraying it with PB blaster or something equivalent. I had the same issue with my Grizzly years ago and it took some work to get it loose. It's why I tied my rope to the drum and left the wedge in my tool box.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
So just try n grab the loop side n pull out or push out or what I'm confused as heck

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Yes pull the loop side out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts