Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a fold down windshield from Dirtyproducts.com. I had read the description and it said it was crack resistant and bullet proof so I assumed it was scratch resistant too but after speaking to them through emails I learned it’s not really scratch resistant. I haven’t got it yet but it’s on its way. Has anyone on here had any experience with Dirtyproducts windshields? The guy told me it is made out of Lexan polycarbonate. Do these scratch easy? And if so is there any type of film or spray I can coat it with to protect it from scratches?

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
You started a similar thread a few days ago and you basically got your answer in post #3. We want you to enjoy your experience here on the forum because there is a lot of great people and advice. This doesn’t mean that there isn’t new products out there blah,blah,blah, but maybe the source you got your windshield from has the newest and greatest thing to come along since sliced bread. As far as any kind of snake oil to put on your windshield that isn’t glass, it’s not going to work.
P.S. I like sliced bread because Boogerswife makes sammiches on the trail.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being new to the site and forums altogether, I’ve been having trouble figuring out how to get back to my post once I leave the site. I tried to pull up that post that I posted the other day but not being too savvy on these forums just yet I still haven’t been able to find it. Could you maybe share with me what was said on post 3 from my post the other day?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It was easy before they “fixed” the forum. But one way is to click on your profile and go down to your discussions. It’ll be there.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Go to your profile then select threads started by you . That’s the easiest way to find your previous threads .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I’ll try that. Thanks!
By the way, I’m not sure if the windshield is Mr2 or not, hopefully it is but I’ll have to find out. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ace! Didn’t know you had replied the other day. I’ll have to ask them if it’s hardcoat or not. Guess if it’s not I’m sort of stuck with it since I’ve already ordered it...

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Thanks Ace! Didn’t know you had replied the other day. I’ll have to ask them if it’s hardcoat or not. Guess if it’s not I’m sort of stuck with it since I’ve already ordered it...
Yeah polycarbonate won’t crack . But if it’s not hard coat it scratch as easy as plexiglass.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, hopefully it’s hardcoated! I just paid $285 for it so I guess I can’t expect too much...

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
285$ it’s not hard coat . A 4x8 sheet of mr10 is well over 500$ . Mr10 will be at the least 350$ for a flat windshield. No way they can make a flip for 285 and make money .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
The first windshield on the x3 lasted one ride. 359$ from can am. Can am hard coat was 550$. EMT hard coat for x3 was 400$ and the commander was 359 in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I meant mr10 not mr2. Thanks for pointing it out ace.

My kolpin type full tilt windshield is mr10. It was 300ish (eBay) and has held up well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have had a flip up windshield for two plus years and gotta say its been the biggest POS I bought for my ride. When in the up position if I hit a bump it slams down. Two rides back I had to stop in the dark and reconnect the piston cause it rattled loose. When this one gets overly scratched, and it will, it going to be replaced by a half windshield

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Check extreme metal products. You don't want a windshield that cracks . You want one strong enough that the mounts will let go before the windshield does.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts