Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Windshield Questions

18K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  slowindown 
#1 ·
Ultimately I would love to have the CanAm Defender full glass tip out windshield, but da** on the price.....:wacko:

Besides price, my one concern with the glass windshield is what happens if/when it chips and cracks? Is this something that can be easily replaced at an "affordable" price at your local glass shop? Has anybody out there had to do this with theirs? I'm not sure if this windshield is a flat piece of glass, or if it has a curvature to it (and if this makes a difference on easily being replaced)? I'd hate to spend a fortune on the glass windshield only to spend another fortune having to replace it if damaged....

For the concerns above, I was debating on going with the SuperATV full vented windshield to save a lot of $$$, but I'm concerned at how easy the composite windshields scratch.....

Also debating on going with the half windshield from CanAm, but worried it won't really block enough of the wind.

Welcome everyone's input on the windshields they are using, and any answers to the questions above....

#2 ·
Different machine but I have the can am half windshield on a commander max. It blocks plenty of wind, unless it's snowing or raining. Not much help with that sort of weather. I guess I didn't get the hardcoat either because after a single wash it's next to impossible to see out of if there's any glare from sun or other lights. So watch out for that.

#3 ·
I have the SATV flip up windshield on my '14 commander and wouldn't have any other type. Love the versatility and it has held up well.

Steve

#4 ·
I have the factory glass full tilt out windshield, and have had no issues with any chipping or scratching, are far as I can see it is flat. From what I have heard or read, Glass is the only thing that will not scratch.

#5 ·
Glass will scratch. I have a glass windshield and tried wiping some mud off with snow. Now I have some faint swirls in the glass. Maybe they can be buffed out, I don't know. Even the hard coat windshields will scratch if your not careful getting mud off. I've always had one of each. A half windshield for the summer and a full windshield (glass or plastic) for the winter. A rear windshield or wind screen is a very good idea as well to keep the swirling dust out of the cockpit.

#8 ·
Starky1, I stand corrected, yes you are correct when mud pushed around instead of rinsed off the granules will scratch the glass. I was referring ( not so good at explaining) that when driving and you hit branches or it does get mud or dirt et on it and it is cleaned with plenty of water it will not scratch like plastic will, you can scratch plastic using a paper towel. I however do not know any thing about the "hard coated plastic" people are talking about, Is there a scratch resistance coating applied like they do to eyeglasses? or is it just a harder plastic?

#9 ·
My understanding is it is a coating, but I don't know much about it. I don't have any experience with "hard coated" windshields, but I've had plastic windshields on other machines in the past. Just didn't like how you couldn't wash it normally without scratching...

#10 ·
#11 ·
JT,
Thanks for the info, looks like some tough stuff.

Reactions: JTROCKS
#12 ·
I have the full super atv hard coated vented windshield and absolutely love it 1500 miles of absolutely every thing possible hittin it rubbin it and its has next to no scratches at all honestly only scratch it has is from the hand power windshield wiper I put on it and there only on there for when it's raining or windsheild fogs up .... i know there not for wiping mud off but my stupid self said screw it one night and wiped the heavy mud from a buddies machine throwing it on my window with the wiper and put one small scratch in it ... but that's it .... as for the can am glass windshield my cousin got it for his hd10 and out of nowhere last week it cracked from the bottom of the glass dead in the middle and the crack runs 10" straight up ... no chips nothing hit it the only thing that even makes since is factory flaw ... I'll try to post pics tomorrow... our dealers is going to send the pics to can am and see what the can do ... but I would think a windshield on a side by side would be a touchy subject to be replaced so we will see what happens but I would hate to take a 1200 dollar chance on it.

#13 ·
Thanks for the info on the SuperATV vented windshield and the CanAm glass windshield. If CanAm doesn't cover the replacement of the glass windshield, which I don't think they would, have your cousin check with a local glass company and see if they can make him a replacement. If they can, please report back on the cost of replacement.

#14 ·
Here is the pics of my cousins glass that cracked outta nowhere... and were gonna look into local glass company ... just a bummer that the glass didnt hold up over 6 months ... my other cousin had a glass windshield on his ranger crew for years that went threw hell and back and the only thing that broke it was his head ha ha long story ... I feel with a glass windshield its awesome and never scratches bad but it's just a card game ur playing but an expensive one

Attachments

#15 ·
My glass windshield cracked last winter also . Right above the defroster . I called in a favor from a buddy that has a glass shop and got a new glass for 60 bucks

#22 ·
Ultimately I would love to have the CanAm Defender full glass tip out windshield, but da** on the price.....:wacko:

Besides price, my one concern with the glass windshield is what happens if/when it chips and cracks? Is this something that can be easily replaced at an "affordable" price at your local glass shop? Has anybody out there had to do this with theirs? I'm not sure if this windshield is a flat piece of glass, or if it has a curvature to it (and if this makes a difference on easily being replaced)? I'd hate to spend a fortune on the glass windshield only to spend another fortune having to replace it if damaged....

For the concerns above, I was debating on going with the SuperATV full vented windshield to save a lot of $$$, but I'm concerned at how easy the composite windshields scratch.....

Also debating on going with the half windshield from CanAm, but worried it won't really block enough of the wind.

Welcome everyone's input on the windshields they are using, and any answers to the questions above....
After a few hours of research and considering how I ride, I purchased the Super ATV windshield that will open some for air flow, or raise up. It was $450 just about everywhere I looked. I will have it installed Wednesday.

I have a quarter shield and it doesn't block enough wind. I didn't want a fold down laying on my hood. The full vented was a good option, but decided no in case it got muddy and I wanted clear vision or full breeze. The three position seemed best and will also keep drainage from roof off of us when it's up and open.

It is hard coated polycarbonate. Be sure to get HARD COATED (known by a couple different names) of you get polycarbonate, and learn how to clean them for best scratch resistance. All of them can be scratched.

I considered the factory Can Am windshield and the dealer assured me the quality was much better that aftermarket. I honestly could not tell that he is correct after looking at specs so I saved my $75.

There are some great videos on YouTube about the different types of windshield material, pros and cons, and cleaning and care.

I would encourage you to do a bit of that research with the understanding that all of them have great features and downsides. Let me know what you decide and why. I'm still learning!

#23 ·
I have the SATV windshield that you just bought and I am completely satisfied with it. It is very versatile. I just wish there was a way to put a wiper on it but even with the hardcoat it would be a no go. I think you'll be happy with it.

Steve

#24 ·
I used awindshield squeegee on my rhinos hardcoat windshield for years and have done the same on my commander since I’ve had a window on it. Doesn’t seem to hurt it. What is a wiper if not a squeegee? Of course I don’t squeegee mud or sand without rinsing it first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.