Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, newbie here. So I have a 2018 800R and am installing a Badlands 5000lb winch. I bought a OEM winch switch and plugged it into the green connector under the dash. I found the four wires tied up the support behind the radiator. Question is what is each wire ? One is black with a round bolt hole, one is black with a spade connector, one is light blue with a spade connector, and the last one is green with a blue stripe with a spade connector. I'm not sure how to connect it to the supplied relay. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The wires connected to the contactor relay, where do they come from?
You need pos+ and neg- coming from battery to contactor on big terminals then to winch.
Not sure what the 4 wires are for you found behind radiator support. Possibly turn signal hook up.
What is your machine?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Hello and welcome, what we have is most likely the small plugs not matching for anyone who has replaced a contactor with aftermarket some terminal changes are likely to be made

https://www.kfiproducts.com/replacement-winch-contactor.html

there is a pic in this one that shows some of the wiring for you should help.

Is there still a plug in the upper left inside glove box for remote?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Winch-Solenoid-Contactor-Rocker-Switch/dp/B0774SBC3V/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?hvadid=78271537399636&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=winch+contactor&qid=1553604042&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Solenoid-Contactor-Rocker-Switch-6000lbs-12000lbs/dp/B075RV5PMC/ref=sr_1_8?hvadid=78271537399636&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=winch+contactor&qid=1553604098&s=gateway&sr=8-8[/ame]

Here are some more examples of the differences in the relay setups

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran the 6ga. Wire that came with the winch for the battery hookup. The four small wires are factory ran for the winch, I’m just wondering what wire goes to the two wires from the relay. I didn’t check to see if the remote wires were behind the glove box. I’ll check today. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys, newbie here. So I have a 2018 800R and am installing a Badlands 5000lb winch. I bought a OEM winch switch and plugged it into the green connector under the dash. I found the four wires tied up the support behind the radiator. Question is what is each wire ? One is black with a round bolt hole, one is black with a spade connector, one is light blue with a spade connector, and the last one is green with a blue stripe with a spade connector. I'm not sure how to connect it to the supplied relay. Thanks in advance.
update: Igor everything done and wired up and itWORKS! I’ll try to put the picks up and draw a wire schematic. The factory switch with the aftermarket winch (badlands 5000) had me stumped. I mounted the remote switch in the glove box like factory but forgot to take a picture

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What mounting plate did you use? I have a 2019 800max and 5000 badlands winch but can’t find a mounting plate.
I’ll try to attach the two items I got off eBay. One is the mounting plate which worked great and the other is the oem dash switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also putting on a badlands winch. I am trying to use the prewired wires that came with the machine. What wires did you connect together with the factory wiring and badlands solenoid? I bought the factory switch so just need solenoid wiring.

Thanks
Dano

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Curious about peoples opinions, what is an easy winch to put on a 2018? I'm curious what wires up easily and wrenches on easily.
WARN. PERIOD. In my opinion, which is what you asked for. When you need a winch, that’s not the time to cheap out. I have them on my jeeps, quads, work truck, SxS and trailers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The mounting plate is in the pics above. The fair lead I had to elongate the holes but it fit the space. I’ll have to check my wiring, but I only used two of the wires in front. I did install the remote in the glove box too. More to come

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts