Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My winch switch has no out function. In function works fine. When I need to use the winch, I have to freespool the cable, pull it out, hook it up, lock the spool and then use the switch to winch in the cable. I have searched and was reading that it is probably the contactor/solenoid that lists for about $150:eek The only need I see for winching the cable out would be if I wanted to lower my rig backwards slowly down a hill:r_c:, or a situation where the cable is pulled tight and maxed out to the point that the machine is not unstuck and the cable needs loosened and repositioned. Also, I have to be careful not to snug the hook too tight up against the rollers or it makes it almost impossible to turn the freespool lever to release the cable:sad. I think I will save the $150 for something that is more useful until I see a need to run the winch cable out with the winch.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You can get many contactors for winches for far less than $150. Search amazon. Harbor freight even has them. 99.9% of winch contactors wire in the same way.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picture of Solenoid?

You can get many contactors for winches for far less than $150. Search amazon. Harbor freight even has them. 99.9% of winch contactors wire in the same way.

Steve

Does anyone have a picture of the stock solenoid that is used with the factory Can-am 4000 lb. Warn winches?
Does it look like this one from Walmart listed as
"New Warn Winch Motor Reversing Solenoid 12V 5 Terminal MBJ4407 MRV-B-5 SBD4201"
for $18.67?
A heck of a lot less money if it will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Way Jose

Steve

Does anyone have a picture of the stock solenoid that is used with the factory Can-am 4000 lb. Warn winches?
Does it look like this one from Walmart listed as
"New Warn Winch Motor Reversing Solenoid 12V 5 Terminal MBJ4407 MRV-B-5 SBD4201"
for $18.67?
A heck of a lot less money if it will work.
Searching all the winch threads on the forum show nothing that looks like this. Most likely would be money wasted at Walmart. From searching, something like this would work much better for $38.25 https://www.kfiproducts.com/replacement-winch-contactor.html?product_id=80

·
Registered
764 Posts
Have you ruled out the switch on the dash? If you have an XT with remote, you could try that before replacing the relay.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Something like this is what you are looking for:

Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you ruled out the switch on the dash? If you have an XT with remote, you could try that before replacing the relay.
I don't have a winch remote. I have a 2018 800 DPS. The winch was added by the previous owner by a dealer. When I press the dash switch in the out position I can hear the solenoid/contactor click, but the winch doesn't engage. I'm assuming the switch is good.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I don't have a winch remote. I have a 2018 800 DPS. The winch was added by the previous owner by a dealer. When I press the dash switch in the out position I can hear the solenoid/contactor click, but the winch doesn't engage. I'm assuming the switch is good.
Can you swap the 2 wires on the winch. If you do that once you press in on the switch the winch will spool out but it will yell you if the contactor/switch or winch itself is bad.

Steve

Reactions: Gold Rush

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll give that a try when I get back up to camp where my rig is parked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would swap these 2, on the relay.
I'll play with the wires when I get back up to where the machine is..........see if I can burn up something:eek. Thanks cannedham for the schematic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Contactor-Solenoid-1500lb-5000lb-Winches/dp/B00H8W5NEQ[/ame]

Works great for me.
Looks like the link was blocked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lots of options out there for around that much money once I determine that it is the contactor and not something else. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you swap the 2 wires on the winch. If you do that once you press in on the switch the winch will spool out but it will yell you if the contactor/switch or winch itself is bad.

Steve
Switched the wires at the winch and it didn't "yell" at me too bad:wink. But with the wires switched the winch motor does run the other direction. Winch eliminated. Next to eliminate the switch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good.

Switched the two wires at the relay with the same result. Winch would run one direction, reversing which way to hold the switch. Switch good. Next step, pulled the relay from where it is mounted on the frame with only one little bolt. Noticed two little flathead screws holding the bottom cover of the relay on. Removed screws, slid cover off and low and behold.....corrosion. Sprayed the entire insides of the relay with Seafoam Deep Creep. Let it sit and work a few minutes. Ahhah......winch now works both directions with the switch like it should. Put a little sealer on cover and fastened back to frame and plugged the unused hole so no more moisture can get in to corrode things. Cost me NOTHING. Yankee ingenuity.

Attachments

Reactions: acefire

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Switched the two wires at the relay with the same result. Winch would run one direction, reversing which way to hold the switch. Switch good. Next step, pulled the relay from where it is mounted on the frame with only one little bolt. Noticed two little flathead screws holding the bottom cover of the relay on. Removed screws, slid cover off and low and behold.....corrosion. Sprayed the entire insides of the relay with Seafoam Deep Creep. Let it sit and work a few minutes. Ahhah......winch now works both directions with the switch like it should. Put a little sealer on cover and fastened back to frame and plugged the unused hole so no more moisture can get in to corrode things. Cost me NOTHING. Yankee ingenuity.
Nice work! Glad you got it going.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Good job.

Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts