32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Maverick XRS DPS
~10000 miles on it
Upgraded the primary clutch to use the keyed turbo sheeve
New motor at 9000 miles
New belt at motor change
Swapped to 30” tires a couple hundred miles ago

Was out riding last weekend and apparently the bolt that holds the secondary clutch on backed out and allowed the secondary clutch to come off the shaft:
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Finger Rim

Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

I had this apart several hundred miles ago when I swapped in my new motor. I am confident that the surfaces of the shaft and the ID surface of the clutch that interfaces with the shaft were very clean and defect free. I am also confident that I torqued the socket head cap screw per the instructions. I think I replaced this with the aftermarket bolt as a preventative measure for this very thing….. but I am not 100% sure at the moment. I am also not sure if I loctited the bolt threads. I am sure if the instructions said to Loctite it I did, I just don’t remember if the instructions said to.

I am in the process of ordering a roller secondary clutch and new weights/springs for the primary to help with the 30” tires. I know that my stock secondary is pretty well worn so that helps justify the change also. I want to make sure that this doesn’t happen again. Any idea on what I can do to help keep this from happening again?

Dan

·
Administrator
27,409 Posts
What did you Torque the bokt to? That a grade 10 block. Not the factory crap bolt. If you use loctite you only use one drop at the tip. If you use to much you will never get it back out when needed. Bolt isn't stretched . I personally have never used loctite on the ordinary or secondary bolts. If bolt is tight enough and clean they don't come loose unless you over tighten it and it stretches. That bolt should Torque to 55# not 35 that the factory one use bolt torqued to. 55 on the factory bolt and it would stretch and never stay tight .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, I can't remember what I torqued it to. It may have been the factory spec. One thing for sure, the presence of anti-seize could not have helped. When I put it together this time (after cleaning out the anti-seize) I'll go with 2 threads worth of blue loctite and torque to 55 ft/lb.

Now all I need is to get someone to sell me a roller secondary to work with my 30" tires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Honestly, I can't remember what I torqued it to. It may have been the factory spec. One thing for sure, the presence of anti-seize could not have helped. When I put it together this time (after cleaning out the anti-seize) I'll go with 2 threads worth of blue loctite and torque to 55 ft/lb.

Now all I need is to get someone to sell me a roller secondary to work with my 30" tires.
Ever have anymore troubles? I ordered the replacement reusable primary and secondary bolts from uatv. His primary calls for 100ftlb not sure on the secondary he doesn’t have it listed… guess I’ll dab a touch of blue loctite while I’m in there too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I snapped a craftsman hex socket on mine when I went to take it off to add the low speed engagement spring. Heat gun and new socket to remove. Torqued back as mentioned. Been running that way several years. There’s been several people that have stripped threads out of the crank on this forum removing the primary ( not necessarily because of high torque but for whatever reason). So I’ll stick with the 90/95. That’s just my thought process. Ace knows way more about these machines than me or most do.

·
Administrator
27,409 Posts
I snapped a craftsman hex socket on mine when I went to take it off to add the low speed engagement spring. Heat gun and new socket to remove. Torqued back as mentioned. Been running that way several years. There’s been several people that have stripped threads out of the crank on this forum removing the primary ( not necessarily because of high torque but for whatever reason). So I’ll stick with the 90/95. That’s just my thought process. Ace knows way more about these machines than me or most do.
Yeah most that strip are being removed and everyone uses a 600 ft lbs impact to run the puller bolt in.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update, I have a few trips on my new secondary clutch with the correct torque and 2 threads of blue loctite. All still going well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts