Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, we just took the plunge and bought two commanders, trusting that we are going to love it!

They are XT's with front winches. However, there may be times a recovery strap will be a better option than the winch. A recovery strap (tow strap with some elasticity and end loops rather than metal hooks) can be attached to the back by sticking it into the hitch and putting the pin through the loop.

Question: Is there a way to properly attach a recovery strap to the front? Short of buying the 2" front hitch from BRP?

Forgive me if there is an obvious answer, I don't have the units here and am only looking at pictures.

Your advice is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
I Installed a front 2" hitch receiver on mine.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Thanks! Knowing what to look for I found a picture that shows the bar. It looks like I can put a shackle on it for a recovery strap. Problem solved.

Thanks
Answered your own question, make sure the ones you buy will fit around that bar. I've used that same spot a many of times. Also buy a tow trap that has a hook on both ends. I've found that type strap to come in the most handy to hook onto trees or others atvs. Also get a synthetic winch cable then you wouldn't get cut by any frays from the metal cable. Synthetic cables are a lot safer in case it snaps plus you can tie it back together and keep on using it. If you winch with a metal cable carry a towel and it on the cable when winching and that way when the cable brakes it falls to the ground and does snap back at you. Also with a metal cable you need to prestretch the cable.
If you plan on winching a lot though I'd get synthetic cable from custom splice co.
You'll see what I mean about a synthetic cable the first time your metal cable cuts you or kinks up and starts fraying or it breaks, there's no repairing it. Synthetic cables also come in different colors.
Just a few pointer for winching safety for you and durability is superior with synthetic.
Have fun and congrats.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've always used a steel cable and find that if you maintain it they work well. I can also buy 6 steel cables for the cost of 1 syn. cable and a new fairlead so for me its a no brainer. I'll always use steel. But that's my opinion only.

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
If you have ever seen a steel cable snap and wrap around the rib cage about three times you would not be bragging on steel cable.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Yep they can be hazardous.
A Synthetic winch cable will set you back $100 bucks. Metal cables aren't $20 bucks either. You can't buy 5 to 1 be real. Use what you want some people don't need their winch to often. Us mudder guys use ours daily and often.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Synthetic Cables also last 6 times longer with basic maintenance than a steel cable, float and a much nicer on the hands. I will never run steel again.

I have tied a reef knot in synthetic cable if it broke and still been able to get home. I have turned my old synthetic cable into extension cables and keep them in the glove box for when needed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
A Synthetic winch cable will set you back $100 bucks. Metal cables aren't $20 bucks either. You can't buy 5 to 1 be real. Use what you want some people don't need their winch to often. Us mudder guys use ours daily and often.
Like I said it was my opinion. Cables are $20 bucks and you need a new fairlead so yes they are 5 to 1. Did you ever here of Synthetic rope snapback. It is a fact that those ropes don't fall to the ground when they break. I don't use my winch as much as you so I can deal with a steel cable.

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
I buy the winch ropes in bulk as I sell some in my shop .
I buy them online and I pay around 25 bucks for one .
I do lots of winching and have seen some very bad shit happen with the cable .
I'm sold on rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Like I said it was my opinion. Cables are $20 bucks and you need a new fairlead so yes they are 5 to 1. Did you ever here of Synthetic rope snapback. It is a fact that those ropes don't fall to the ground when they break. I don't use my winch as much as you so I can deal with a steel cable.
No skin off my back getter done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts