Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put money down on the 1000XT today.:D (Alaska is all out of the X and wont have any till next spring.)

So i would like to get some info on who makes some shocks that will fit and what people think of them. :commanderroll:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Elka advertised They have them for sale. I had them on my Outlander,
made a huge difference...By the way The Elka shocks for my Outlander are for sale if anyone is interested!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I emailed FOX, KING, and W.E a about a month ago about weather they were going to have shocks for the Commander, and I never herd back from any of them. So I don't know what to say, they don't sound interested in selling them. I to am getting an XT and would like to upgrade. Can Am wants 2 grand for there Fox Shocks, and I was hoping to beat that price.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
we are a king, fox and elka dealer and are working with them to have aftermarket replacement shocks as well as with out LT kit

We have already ordered a set of the fox X shocks for a customer that has the XT

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
If you know the Eye to Eye center dimension you can select replacement shocks for it. What I don't know will a standard 10" travel shock like Fox have the same dimention as the OEM manufactures by Fox. I do not have mine yet to accertain the info. In any event if they are the same then you will need to contend with spring rates and valving requirements. There are formalas to get you in the spring rate range based on weight and suspension dimential data however it just gives you a starting point. Bottom line is if you like to Tinker and experiment then give it a whirl. If not then buy what becomes avaliable for them. Even they will not nessasarly be spot on for the Individule and/or riding conditions. So I suggest buying the adjustabilty options offered. I have Fox, Works and/or Axis shocks on all my toys so I have a little bit of tuning experience with it. Its not hard, just time consuming.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I personally like the Fox shocks. I have them on my RZRS and love the way it rides. I purchased some Walker Evans shocks that I put on one of my regualr Rzr and I still prefer the S with Fox shocks, it seems like a smoother ride (granted it is 2 slightly different machines but the ride feels smoother). And yes I have played around with the setting on the WE shocks just cannot find the confort that matches my s with fox shocks.
Can't wait to see how the Commander X rides with the Fox shocks!!!

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Assuming you spring rates are giving you the desired ride height, have you tryed different valving? Are the dual rate with an adjustable crossover collar. The crossover can make a big difference in tuning.

·
Vendor
774 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the OEM Fox shocks on the RZR S? If so the Walker Evans you get with say an XMF long travel kit are far superior. The Fox shocks on the RZR S are not their highest quality shock. We'll be offering Elka's as a Commander replacement shock. Elka's are as nice as they come :cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Odyknuck, I have not tried the collar, local dealer installed them for me and set it up. I will give that a try.

Factory UTV, thanks for the info, I may give the Elka's a try. First I just need to get my X in!!!

·
Vendor
774 Posts
Odyknuck, I have not tried the collar, local dealer installed them for me and set it up. I will give that a try.

Factory UTV, thanks for the info, I may give the Elka's a try. First I just need to get my X in!!!

Love to sell you a set of shocks, but our integrity is pretty important to us. I wouldn't recommend any customer sell the Fox off the X for Elka's unless it was a straight across $$ kind of deal or money is no issue. The Fox shocks on the X are nice shocks, just wouldn't justify the expense in my mind. I think more the XT and Standard Commander owner's would consider the Elka's if they are wanting to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts

Do you understand what the collar does? If not it determines at what point the main spring takes over the shock load. Meaning under light load conditions both top and bottom springs are in play. Under heavy loads like jumps, Logs and larger rocks the shocks compress's until the top spring slider come in contact with the transfer ring. At that point the top spring is disabled and only the lower spring is in play. As an example to make the math easy lets say your top and bottom springs are both 200#. under light loads as described above you would have an effective spring rate of 100# per inch (S1 X S2 \ S1 + S2). Once the crossover ring gives control to the bottom spring you now have an effective spring rate of 200# per inch. So if you lowere the ring the main spring will come into play quicker and if you raise it then it will come in later in the stroke. As you can see there is a happy medium that needs to be found. Adjust and drive, adjust and drive etc. Oh don't forget to measure were it's at now so you can always go back. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts

Love to sell you a set of shocks, but our integrity is pretty important to us. I wouldn't recommend any customer sell the Fox off the X for Elka's unless it was a straight across $$ kind of deal or money is no issue. The Fox shocks on the X are nice shocks, just wouldn't justify the expense in my mind. I think more the XT and Standard Commander owner's would consider the Elka's if they are wanting to upgrade.
Thanks Bob I respect that in a company. I also agree the additional benifit is not worth the cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Elka just sent out a press release on their shocks for the Commander. I will have a set of Stage 4 shocks on my Commander hopefully by this weekend.....

BOUCHERVILLE, QUEBEC, September 28th, 2010 — The pioneers of arftermarket suspension for SXS have recently developed some cool new shock absorbers upgrades for all the new Can-Am Commander models: 1000, 1000XT, 1000X, 800R and 800XT. These hot-looking shocks with their massive 46mm bodies are also offered in a newly redesigned piggyback configuration for front and rear, making them very easy to install.

These are offered in 3 different shock configurations for which the pricing has been reduced by as much as 30%:

STAGE 2 : Piggyback reservoir, Preload adjustable, $445 /ea.
STAGE 2+ : Piggyback reservoir, Preload and Rebound adj., $545 /ea.
STAGE 4 : Piggyback reservoir, High/Low-Speed Compression, Reb., $595 /ea.

All configurations provide the same benefits by increasing wheel travel for a more comfortable ride, helping to eliminate bottoming-out, limiting chassis roll and dive while improving traction and cornering stability. The Stage 4 goes further by providing external adjustability of both high- & low-speed compression, which allows the driver to separately dial-in the chassis stability without affecting bump compliance and absorption.

Interested customers are encouraged to place their order now in order to get a fast turnaround time and enjoy an optimized ride before the riding season is over.

Web: www.elkasuspension.com | Ride Hard, Ride Fast, Ride Elka

Elka Suspension is an industry-leading manufacturer of innovative high-performance suspension products targeted mostly at powersports and action sports, for both racing and recreational applications. The company has earned a solid reputation in the industry by providing high-quality products at a competitive price within fast turnaround time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Elka just sent out a press release on their shocks for the Commander. I will have a set of Stage 4 shocks on my Commander hopefully by this weekend.....
Lookin forward to a ride report Jon :cool:
Headed to sand mountain on the 16-17. Guys trip. You should come on out.

Seems like a lot of the long travel guys are using stock length shocks. I am going to work with the stock arms for a bit then swap to long travel with the same shocks. Maybe respring and revalve? Figured that would be a path a lot of people would take so they could ease into it.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Lookin forward to a ride report Jon :cool:
Headed to sand mountain on the 16-17. Guys trip. You should come on out.

Seems like a lot of the long travel guys are using stock length shocks. I am going to work with the stock arms for a bit then swap to long travel with the same shocks. Maybe respring and revalve? Figured that would be a path a lot of people would take so they could ease into it.
Sand mountain sounds like a great idea! Only an hour away from us.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts