Can-Am Commander Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Here's a gripe. This isn't directed at the new commander but most sxs's and atvs sold today, regardless of manufacturer. WTF happened to shiny aluminum wheels? The oem aluminum wheels on my commander and on my old SE rhino look so much better than any of the black painted crap everyone tends to use now. I don't get it. For example, that new Commander XT would look a whole lot better on shiny clear coated aluminum instead of the painted ones. And stay of my lawn, whippersnappers!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Visco Lok still sucks. I literally HATE my useless Visco Lok.
Already stuck before the front wheels even try to spin.

·
Super Moderator
25,830 Posts
Sorry big difference in what can am finds to be comfortable ratings. And what the real world finds to be acceptable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They should at least add visco 4-lok to the models that still have visco lok.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
That yamaha really looks good. Dont know if I will replace the commander, mainly cause I hardly use it. That yamaho looks like a winner though.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
That yamaha really looks good. Dont know if I will replace the commander, mainly cause I hardly use it. That yamaho looks like a winner though.

The yamaha is not as long 119.3" vs 130". Due to the length, I imagine the yamaha's turning radius is better at 236" (can am doesn't list it). Wheelbase is 88.7 yamaha vs 90.6 canam. Of course, the old short commander had a great turning radius, which is important in tight trails. Clearance is yamaha 13.8" vs 13" for the can am. The yamaha has 8 more hp but it probably wont seem like it given the way can am clutches vs yamaha. Yamaha has the ultramatic constant belt tension cvt vs can am grab and go, which is why yamaha has like a ten year belt warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yah I really wish can am would have made the commander short. Short wheelbase is. made for trails. All of can-am sxs are getting fairly long.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well with great anticipation I have waited for the introduction of the new Commander. I was close to purchasing an Rmax because having had several Grizzlies I have always been impressed with Yamaha clutching when it comes to low RPM engagement for the trails and snow. Was in Montana seeing the grandbaby and saw this page talking about the new release. The most I can conjure up is a Ho-hum. Pretty much a Bombardier let down. They should have listened to what their Commander owners wanted to see in an upgrade, (They will come on here and tell you after much market research this is what the consumer wanted) but having worked with them on other projects back in the 70's and 80's their attitude has not changed. They are right and you are lucky to be able to buy their product. Instead of offering a high performance utility SxS they gave us a Prius with a trunk. Crappy clutches, crappy shocks, and wait for it - increased tow capacity. So I guess I will start looking for an Rmax if I can find one. The last three dealerships I talked to about the Rmax said we would like to sell you one, stand in line please.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was hoping for new engine with more HP. Turbo option ,something. It’s the same engine I have in my 2012! They did leave out some models. So maybe they are doing something different with them(4 seat xt-p, xmr and RC)
Maybe transmission like what’s in the talon.
I do like the new look. And they love their mud versions. Hopefully something cool there. Or maybe this is it. Who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Well with great anticipation I have waited for the introduction of the new Commander. I was close to purchasing an Rmax because having had several Grizzlies I have always been impressed with Yamaha clutching when it comes to low RPM engagement for the trails and snow. Was in Montana seeing the grandbaby and saw this page talking about the new release. The most I can conjure up is a Ho-hum. Pretty much a Bombardier let down. They should have listened to what their Commander owners wanted to see in an upgrade, (They will come on here and tell you after much market research this is what the consumer wanted) but having worked with them on other projects back in the 70's and 80's their attitude has not changed. They are right and you are lucky to be able to buy their product. Instead of offering a high performance utility SxS they gave us a Prius with a trunk. Crappy clutches, crappy shocks, and wait for it - increased tow capacity. So I guess I will start looking for an Rmax if I can find one. The last three dealerships I talked to about the Rmax said we would like to sell you one, stand in line please.
On paper, the rmax is quit noticeably superior as I posted above. I would not doubt that that's the reason they pulled the release around the time of the rmax release.

I like the looks of both machines. But the addition 10" of length is crazy. Using the trail/sport platform, I guess it had to be that long to have a bed.

Another thing that worries me about the commander vs the rmax is the seating position. Look where the driver sits. Trail visibility is going to be much better in the rmax. Yamaha really did their homework. Not so much, can am.

On a positive note for can am, it's probably much cheaper to manufacture than the rmax and I don't mean just because it's made in mexico instead of the US like the rmax. There has to be a really high percentage of parts that will interchange between the trail, sport and commander, so tooling is cheaper. Development cost were all but non existent as that would have been absorbed by the sport/trail or at least split between the three. The RMAX was obviously a specifically developed sport/utility machine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
On paper, the rmax is quit noticeably superior as I posted above. I would not doubt that that's the reason they pulled the release around the time of the rmax release.

I like the looks of both machines. But the addition 10" of length is crazy. Using the trail/sport platform, I guess it had to be that long to have a bed.

Another thing that worries me about the commander vs the rmax is the seating position. Look where the driver sits. Trail visibility is going to be much better in the rmax. Yamaha really did their homework. Not so much, can am.

You are correct. The one thing I do notice on the Rmax is I think the ROPS is a little to tall. I have sat in the Rmax and I like that you are sitting in a more upright position and visibility is better. I also like that you can lock the front diff in BEFORE you get into trouble instead of waiting for it to decide for you if it needs to have it engaged after you get into trouble. Plus on the Blue Rmax you can adjust the shocks on the fly depending on your riding conditions. I believe Can-am came to the party with to little to late when comparing it to the Rmax. But, the Youtubers will tell you about the towing capacity and the dump box and the aggressive looking front end. Those are selling points that cause me to be all giddy. Sorry if I sound whinny, Can-am had the chance to blow everything out of the water but I believe they failed and are going to lose market share for it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I see our Can-am Off Road Official has gone quite. No corrections or additions.
I think they realize the didn’t really raise the bar. They just went under it!
Let’s face it. They are still going to sell a bunch of these units. It’s just not the stick it in your face, look how much more badass my commander is than your general we were hoping for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: acefire and BluMtn
21 - 35 of 35 Posts