Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would like to welcome everyone to the latest addition of CommanderForums.org dedicated to the upcoming Can-Am Commander Electric Side By Side.

So anyone considering picking one of these up?

·
Registered
504 Posts
If this electric Commander is somehow able to be registered as street legal I'm definitely going to be picking one up!

Anyone know why else it would come with mirrors, horn and turn signals?

Also, they mention this about it on the Can-Am website:

"It’s 100% gas free with no emission making it the perfect vehicle to tour the neighborhood, do your shopping or explore nature at its best with this ultra quiet and smoke-free vehicle."

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You can make any commander street legal. It just depends on your local laws more than it does the actual commander.

·
Administrator
114 Posts
This thing is pretty sweet, I wish they could come down on the price though :( That's a lot of money for an electric UTV.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You can make any commander street legal. It just depends on your local laws more than it does the actual commander.
That's the problem. There is only like three states where you can legally register a UTV or ATV as street legal. The description of this electric Commander makes it sound like it doesn't have the "off-road only" caveat that is stamped on all other UTV's?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ahh I got you. Like a smart car or something.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Why not just buy a smart car,you have, heat,wipers,AC, tunes,sun roof, instead of the new Electic commander. Proly the same price and you have it all with less limitations. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
504 Posts
Why not just buy a smart car,you have, heat,wipers,AC, tunes,sun roof, instead of the new Electic commander. Proly the same price and you have it all with less limitations. Just my 2 cents
Here's a few quick reasons why:

1. Smart cars aren't cool

2. They're about 3x as expensive

3. You can't go off-road in them or enjoy them to hunt, camp, fish, etc.

·
Registered
510 Posts
"explore nature at its best with this ultra quiet and smoke-free vehicle."

That's a good one cause I'm sure it has the same noisy rear end as the rest of em.

·
Registered
531 Posts
In Colorado at least if the vehicle is under 50cc's then it doesn't have to be registered, the driver does need a licence though. So maybe this would count I don't know. My daughters electric barbie jeep is allowed to be driven but her Rzr 170 gets the attention of the police everytime.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"BRP created the Commander Electric side by side vehicle for comfort, safety and convenience. It’s 100% gas free with no emission making it the perfect vehicle to tour the neighborhood, do your shopping or explore nature at its best with this ultra quiet and smoke-free vehicle."

It certainly sounds like Can-am is pushing these as the new "cool" golf cart to have.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If this electric Commander is somehow able to be registered as street legal I'm definitely going to be picking one up!

Anyone know why else it would come with mirrors, horn and turn signals?

Also, they mention this about it on the Can-Am website:

"It’s 100% gas free with no emission making it the perfect vehicle to tour the neighborhood, do your shopping or explore nature at its best with this ultra quiet and smoke-free vehicle."
With a top speed of 25mph, I doubt that it would be possible to make this model street legal.

I think that the reason for the mirrors is (kinda) hidden in the quote you posted, "making it the perfect vehicle to tour the neighborhood". There are a lot of neighborhoods that have private streets or allow golf carts and such to run around in them. The new electric Can-Am would be perfect for that purpose and the mirrors would come in quite handy in that type of environment, even though it wouldn't be strictly street legal.

Of course, JMO. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Commander E LSV SE

Recently took delivery of a pretty, pearl white, 2014 Commander E. Its LSV designation (Low Speed Vehicle) requires a license tag, vehicle insurance and is street legal for public roads with posted speed limits of 35 mph or less. The "E"'s max speed is 25 mph. You can legally cross high speed multi-lane highways. The SE (Special Edition) model has all the bells and whistles to be road legal. Glass windshield with 2 wipers and spray washer; hard top, head lights and brights, turn signals, center mounted rear view and Left side mirrors, (Right Side Mirror can be purchased as an extra accessory for about $90), brake lights, license plate holder and lamps, loud horn, and 2 black vinyl bucket seats with seat belts. Back of knee skin stick to the seats. I have got cloth seat covers on order. Driver's seat only adjustable forward and aft. Both seats release and can be removed easily. Grab bars and side curtain netting for both driver and passenger. Tilt wheel is a nice feature.

It just hums along powered by its 48 volt induction motor. 8 sealed lead acid batteries are wired for 48 volts (There may be an option for 12 batteries in the future) Easily charged with a standard 3 wire extension cord plugged into standard single phase 120 V.A.C. 60 Hz. Charges a fully depleted battery bank up to full charge in about 8 hours. Not a good idea to run it until the battery is completely discharged. A dead battery will require the dealer to reboot the computer's operating system. Could ruin your day!

Power: 30 hp peak, 11 hp continuous. (8.2 kilowatts)

Can Am specifies the Commander E's range as 12 miles up to 99.4 miles. I understand that the actual range to be expected in warm summer, on hard packed surface and utilizing ECO MODE is about 18 miles. ECO MODE limits max speed to 12 mph as compared to the NORMAL MODE's max speed of 25 mph. I guess that Can Am got up to 99.4 mile range range while going down a steep hill on a desert with a strong tail wind behind them.

My intent is to use it like folks use their golf carts to cruise around my community. I don't play golf and probably never will. No muddin', jumping dunes, rolling it over, or doing wheelies for me. Just a fun ride around the neighborhood.

The Commander E is a real looker. Expect to be asked: "if it's really electric then why does it have a gas cap?" The 3 prong male plug located under the gas cap is used to connect to a standard 3 wire extension cord that powers the build in battery charger. A flashing green light on the dash indicates A.C. power connection and start up of the charger. When the blinking green turns to solid green, typically a few hours later, this indicates that the batteries are fully charged. Don't forget to disconnect the cord before zooming out of your garage.

My Amazon Parrot TYLER loves sitting on the passenger grab bar and sings while he goes riding along. The side safety nets look like another bird cage to him. Driver and passenger seat belts, shoulder guards hard top, glass windshield,wipers and washer, and side netting give occupants a secure feeling.

Caution: If you're planning on getting a Commander E you may have to fight off all the pretty ladies that will want to go for a ride with you. Life's tough.

I hope to learn more about the Commander E as time goes on. So far there have been only a very few E's sold around the country. I will try to share my experiences with you but I'm no expert. Go easy on me, I'm still learning. Thanks, Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
This is very informative and helpful for anyone looking at purchasing the Commander E model. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is classified as an "LSV" or Low Speed Vehicle and can be licensed for the street as such (here in Michigan anyway). BRP sells a street legal package for the Commander but I believe you will pay about $4K for the upgrade. It then gets a title calling it "assembled roadster" which you take to the secretary of state and purchase a plate. I have done this for my 1999 golf cart, the title says "2010 assembled roadster" I have full coverage from Progressive with vanishing deductible, I even have comp if a deer runs me over, i am covered. Needs a DOT approved windshield as one of the upgrades (BRP sells one for the commander)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just purchased an E-commander to replace the street legal golf cart above. The golf cart could get me to the lake and deploy but lacked the grunt to pull it back out of the water. The Commander will do it in style with power to spare.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for establishing the forum for the Commander E. Can we please delete all the messages that don't relate to the E model. It seems there is a lot of confusion that this is where people can ask electrical questions about regular gas powered Commander models. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm looking at purchasing one of these and am curious what kind of mileage people are getting out of the Commander E (electric) models. We live in an area with hills but it would be running mostly on paving in a golf cart type usage.

Also should we conclude that the E was a big failure by CanAm and that is why there is no 2016 model?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts