Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that a water temperature gauge in the lower left corner of the digital display that is included in the XT Package? :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Because water temp is what everything goes by. Just look @ your car. The temp of the water leta you know wiether its running hot or not.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine water temperature is everything. I would rather see what the temp is then relying on a engine temp light to come on and it be too late!

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Because water temp is what everything goes by. Just look @ your car. The temp of the water leta you know wiether its running hot or not.
Ok, you have me confused. Every vehicle I've ever owned has an engine temp gauge. The truck I have now even has a transmission temp gauge. I don't think I've ever seen a water temp gauge for a stock vehicle. I would think if can am had to pick what went into the display, and they only had room for one, I would think it would be for engine temp. I have heard that the new factory accessories will have a gauge cluster that goes in the center dash area. I think that may have a water temp/oil temp reading.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Engine water temperature is everything. I would rather see what the temp is then relying on a engine temp light to come on and it be too late!
It wouldn't have to be a light. It might be a progressive gauge that has bars.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes yes. Thats what I was talking about! That is a much better picture. Look in the lower left corner of the digital display. Thats it right?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm not sure, but I beleive that you are all correct-engine temp & water temp are the same thing--- the only other guages that we have on our drag car & Jeep is engine oil temp and transmission temp.....Barbara

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you look closely it's the same gauge found in most cars which measures the temp of the coolant/water in your radiator. the pic of the gauge is a themometor sitting in water. Water temp is the same as engine temp.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok, you have me confused. Every vehicle I've ever owned has an engine temp gauge. The truck I have now even has a transmission temp gauge. I don't think I've ever seen a water temp gauge for a stock vehicle. I would think if can am had to pick what went into the display, and they only had room for one, I would think it would be for engine temp. I have heard that the new factory accessories will have a gauge cluster that goes in the center dash area. I think that may have a water temp/oil temp reading.
The gauge you are calling a temp gauge is the water temp.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
ahhhhh, ok. Now that makes more since. So you guys are saying that the engine temp is derived by a sensor in the coolant? So in essence the engine temp reading comes from the actual water temp reading. I think I was just confused when the word "water temp" was used. My whole life I've only heard it referred to as engine temp. Thanks for the clarification guys.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any way you look at it. It's a nice addition to a well thought out machine I must say. I can't wait until mine gets here!

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Yes, Water Temp is the standard way to measure engine temprature on a water cooled vehicle. Xelvic was just misunderstanding that aspect I think. Most cars have this, and many also have oil pressure, RPM, Fuel Level and Volts, plus the required speedometer. I have one car that has all of those plus oil temperature (which is actually better at telling you when the engine is fully warmed up and ready for full throttle since coolant temps can change pretty quickly). I think the Commander has all of the really necessary items covered, but I am sure some people will add volt meters and a few may even add oil pressure and temp.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The tempiture gauge is a nice feature but I found it to be a little small and hard to read when I was riding in the dunes. the little theamomiter turns red like a idit lite when it over heats which is a help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts