Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Would you spend 1K for a selectable front diff locker to replace your Visco Lok unit?

• Yes

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 29.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit/Update: A new poll has been posted that no longer asks about spending 1K on an aftermarket locker.

Please vote at this new poll if you want Can Am to add a manually selectable front diff lock!

http://www.commanderforums.org/foru...-add-manually-selectable-front-diff-lock.html

--------------------------------

Edit/Update: GKN is the company that manufactures the Visco Lok diff for Can Am. GKN also has already developed selectable locker technology that can be combined with the Visco Lok diff. It appears clear that Can Am only need ask GKN to make available a selectable locking diff and it would shortly be a done deal. This is surely the correct angle for us to pursue and is likely the only possible way the marketplace will ever see a Can Am selectable diff lock.

If you are among those who desire a selectable locker on your Can Am ATV or SxS unit, or are waiting for Can Am to add the selectable lock option before purchasing, then please contact Can Am directly and let them know!

You can use either this link: http://www.canamoffroad.com/community/my-canam-idea
or call the Can Am offices at: U.S.A.: (715) 848-4957
Canada: (819) 566-3366

Now is your chance to weigh in constructively and let Can Am know how much a selectable diff lock would mean to you!!!

--------------------------------

This thread was originally started over at maverickforums. It was suggested that I also post it here since it applies to Commander owners as well.

-------------------------------

Ok, so I'm considering a Maverick purchase. I'm convinced that the Maverick is as good as gets right now in the SxS market (though I understand some who ride tight trails may not have the option of a 64" wide vehicle).

My intention here is not to start another debate on the virtues, or deficiencies, of the Visco Lok. Obviously a lot depends on your application and how you run your machine and the discussion tends to get religious. I'm sure some want the QE unit and will fork over the dough to replace the standard Visco Lok unit being shipped in the Maverick. Others may wait and hope the next Mav release will include the QE unit. Yet others are fine with the standard Visco.

For me, I believe (as I'm sure many do) the best possible solution is the standard Visco Lok unit alongside some sort of selectable lock override. It may be that modifying the Visco diff in this manner isn't possible and that the carrier internals (possibly including the carrier itself) may instead need to be totally replaced. The point of this thread isn't to discuss the technical specifics, as I see that discussion has now gone on for many years in a variety of forums. I know one guy down under actually built a prototype locking override unit, but I'm really not interested in a discussion of one-offs.

I've done some research and seen that a year or two back there was someone in contact with Eaton who was trying to convince them to make a selectable manual locker front diff to replace (or enhance) the Visco Lok unit. The last thread post was him saying that Eaton told him they weren't interested in considering development of the product because they would require way more confirmed demand in advance of R&D.

The point of this thread is to truly gauge confirmed interest in a selectable front locking diff. I'm convinced the Maverick will now garner a significant percentage of the sport SxS market (which has grown hugely as we all know) and that the sheer numbers of people interested COULD potentially cause Eaton to reconsider. With all of their expertise, I'm guessing it would probably only take these guys a handful of months of R&D work to solve the problem. But, they won't put in the effort and do it unless the demand is confirmed to be there.

I figure if the sport SxS industry number of units sold can be correlated with the expected adoption of Mavericks (which I think will shortly be eating heavily into the Polaris stranglehold), and multiplied by the number of existing and soon-to-be Maverick owners who definitely want a production manually selectable true locker unit then we can come up with some real numbers. I'm sure Commander (and maybe quad) owners will also have interest, which is why I've also posted here.

If and when the poll numbers look good then I'll plan on approaching Eaton again (and/or Ox, ARB, etc.) and ask them to reevaluate the situation. Let's assume, to be reasonable, and in light of typical full size Dana/other selectable lockers that the unit would cost $1000.00

Would you spend 1K and buy a manually selectable front diff locker to replace your Visco Lok unit?

If so then please be sure to vote in the poll so we've got some hard numbers here as opposed to just thread comments. Comments are fine, but the poll number is key!

It's always possible that if we get enough positive feedback we could also approach Can Am and try to convince them to do the legwork and possibly provide a factory selectable locker option too.

No matter what, though, without sheer numbers weighing in about their desire for a fully selectable locker we don't stand much chance of seeing a production unit...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I would seriously consider it as long as it was a clean swap without drilling and cutting etc. and used the balance of the remaining OEM hardware in place.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep, looking at $1200 to put the QE in it and still not as good as a true locker. Make it a QE type with a full lock mode. Not hard, rhino has one. Maybe someone like G2 axle and gear would be interested since eaton does not seam to care.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I sent my visco lok to, highlifter, who sent it eaton. Eaton wanted an extremely large outlay of money, before they would even consider building one. In other words they wanted actual sales instead of promises to buy. I hope the maverick garnishes enough attention, but the fact that the front diff already fits the commander, and outlander I don't see anything coming from it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent my visco lok to, highlifter, who sent it eaton. Eaton wanted an extremely large outlay of money, before they would even consider building one. In other words they wanted actual sales instead of promises to buy. I hope the maverick garnishes enough attention, but the fact that the front diff already fits the commander, and outlander I don't see anything coming from it.

How much were they talking in terms of real money? Just wondering out loud if something like $100 deposit per customer would get the ball rolling at some X number of committed buyers. Maybe it's possible the $$$ could be kept aggregated in an escrow account or something, along with the stipulation that if a production unit isn't available for order within 6 months (or whatever) the funds all get returned.

It would obviously help to know what the ballpark number is for triggering the R&D work...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Wish they would just adapt a yamaha-like system that allowed the operator to select what they wanted.. but I wouldn't spend that kinda money on top of the price of the unit to get it.. I think it should come with it...

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
One the the back so you can have one wheel peel for pavement without the whine.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'd pay the G for one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe ARB would consider making new front and rear diffs. Ltd already have air on board. Seems like a no brainer for a company to make some money. Flick a switch and it's locked

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Im the one who personnaly spoke with Eaton almost 2 years ago if I recall correctly. They insisted on using Highlifter as a dealer and wanted to deal with highlifter only. I was told by Scott @ highlifter it would take an initial order of 500 units before they would built a prototype, and he wasnt ready to shell out that much cash. I do believe theres 500 people nation wide that would purchase this but probably not 500 willing to jump right in with both feet all at the same time for an unknown product with unknown performance. I agreed with Scott and installed a QE.

·
Registered
382 Posts

How much were they talking in terms of real money? Just wondering out loud if something like $100 deposit per customer would get the ball rolling at some X number of committed buyers. Maybe it's possible the $$$ could be kept aggregated in an escrow account or something, along with the stipulation that if a production unit isn't available for order within 6 months (or whatever) the funds all get returned.

It would obviously help to know what the ballpark number is for triggering the R&D work...
To the best of my memory they wanted atleast 600,000$ to just do the R&D.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I was thinking half a million but were splitting hairs at that point lol.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
@Rikmil, If you want to get something done that has anything to do with Can-Am then Highlifter isn't the place to go. They are sponsored by Polaris so all of their concern is centered around polaris. Highlifter alone does all kinds of in house R&D on polaris upgrades. They have not and will not do anything for Can-am. If you go on their forums you will even see how biased the employees are who are on the forums. I think the best bet would be to get a small machine shop to somehow retro-fit an existing full selectable locker to fit a commander/outlander. There isn't enough money to be made for the big boy companies to do the R&D.

·
Registered
318 Posts
so where is the best place to start what locker is the closest to working, rhino? probly to much power for the small diff? wildcat? some1 point me in the general right direction. becuz one of the guys i work with (fairly good buddy) his dad owns a machine shop! so help me help us all please!!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I believe that the Rhino is a 3.67 ratio, which is close enough to our 3.6. Or at least I know the Maverick has a 3.6, can anybody with the Commander verify that it's the same on them? And I'd trust something from Yamaha more than I would anything from Arctic cat. Get the entire Rhino differential bolted into the front of your vehicle, get one of the aftermarket axle suppliers to make axles that have rhino inner cv and a Can Am outer cv with your axle length, and all that's left to do is get it wired up and get the driveshaft hooked up to it. You could probably even cut the cv off of the rhino, and weld it to the Can Am cv.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Im the one who personnaly spoke with Eaton almost 2 years ago if I recall correctly. They insisted on using Highlifter as a dealer and wanted to deal with highlifter only. I was told by Scott @ highlifter it would take an initial order of 500 units before they would built a prototype, and he wasnt ready to shell out that much cash. I do believe theres 500 people nation wide that would purchase this but probably not 500 willing to jump right in with both feet all at the same time for an unknown product with unknown performance. I agreed with Scott and installed a QE.
wiley said:
To the best of my memory they wanted atleast 600,000$ to just do the R&D.
RiKMiL said:
I was thinking half a million but were splitting hairs at that point lol.
:icon_eek:

Yikes, I guess an escrow account with a few dozen $100 deposits ain't gonna cut it.

:icon_eek:

Looks like my alternate plan to instead have a [comparatively very expensive] turnkey full size buggy with selectable lockers built is gaining momentum. The Maverick looks mighty good (as I said before, IMO the best production SxS available), but I'm reticent to buy any off-road machine without a selectable full locker in the front...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.