Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, is there any where other than youtube for drive shaft removals? Seems to be few are far between on YouTube.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
No.

Rear. Pull 4 bolts from frame thst holds it on.slide diff back. Use 13 mm wrench n get bolt out of center joint U will have to move gas tank or cut hole in metal plate under. Unbolt from rear of trans slide it off

Front. Take out 4 bolts holds diff in. Unbolt center 13mm bolts from shaft on diff side and motor side Slide diff forward pull off

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I did not have to cut a hole or move gas tank for rear shaft. Removed it twice already. Just unbolted differential, removed both bolts that hold the yoke to the diff and engine off. Back differential and took the drive shaft out. I did have the box off and the axles and a arms so I could work easier in there.

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
I have taken my rear shaft off way to many times and sliding the diff back and a short wrench with a offset is all I used for the nasty bolt that hold the shaft to the gearbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could i just remove the u joints to take off the drive shafts? Im just trying to get at the gear box to replace a stud i snapped off

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If your UJOINTS are still good I wouldn't do it that way. Safe yourself a lot of hassle and just removed the bolts needed to work at it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No.

Rear. Pull 4 bolts from frame thst holds it on.slide diff back. Use 13 mm wrench n get bolt out of center joint U will have to move gas tank or cut hole in metal plate under. Unbolt from rear of trans slide it off

Front. Take out 4 bolts holds diff in. Unbolt center 13mm bolts from shaft on diff side and motor side Slide diff forward pull off
U-joint center bolt is 1/2" on mine. Almost realized too late and was close to rounding it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm stuck trying to get the yoke bolt out of the gearbox. Looks like I'll be pulling the gas tank to get to it better.

I was wondering, does it help to apply heat to the bolt to break down the loctite holding it in? Has anyone here tried it and recommend it?

The bolt on the diff yoke was pretty stubborn. I ended up removing the u-joint and then the bolt using an impact wrench. I'd like to leave the other u-joint intact though.

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
I have warmed up the yoke bolt and it helps to soften the lock tite

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ended up putting some heat on the yoke bolt last night but no luck removing it without removing the gas tank first. Once the tank is out of the way, there's whole lot more room to get at it and put some torque to the wrench and get it to turn. It's much easier with the tank out of the way.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Any tips on pulling rear yoke from the gearbox? Bolt came out easily, heated up yoke and its on there like it’s welded on. Soaked it overnight with penetrating oil and still no dice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts