Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the first oil change on a 2018 command max since I've owned it. It's just over 1000 miles and while I'm in there i like to look around. What I noticed first is wet looking dirt around the valve covers. It doesn't appear to be leaking much but I may still need to replace the gaskets but before that I'll likely try to torque them down the spec first. That just may fix it. Does anyone know the torque specs for those little bolts. I definitely don't want to over torque them on a plastic cover. Thanks in advance
PXL_20210522_184148081.jpg

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
62 +/-7 inch pounds per the manual. INCH pounds.

I've had to replace the valve cover gaskets before. IIRC, there wasn't that many hours/miles on the machine when I replaced them. When I did the replacement, I was amazed at how much the originals were compressed versus the new ones.

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
252 Posts
Do your self a favor and order mr rpm aluminum covers, they are cheap, and won't flex and warp when they get hot like the plastic ones. Thats what normally causes them to start leaking.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
My factory plastic ones have 3000 miles with no problems. Like a number of mrsrpm’s products, the aluminum ones are sourced from Chinese cloned rotaxes like odes intimidator etc. You can get them elsewhere if you want them. Canampartsguy Aluminum Valve Cover V-twin Set has them and I’ve had good luck with that business.

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
252 Posts
I use Jared (canam parts guy) for alot of products, and yes Mr rpms aluminum covers are China made im sure, but they are the cheapest set you'll purchase, and I've used a ton of em with no issues, and at 20$ plus shipping, they're hard to beat, not calling anyone out, but I've owned alotttt of canams, and all of my Rotax engines have had leaky valve covers, and new gaskets with aluminum covers always takes care of the issue. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I torqued them down for a temporary fix and will order a new set of valve covers and gaskets. Took a good portion of the day but I was able to get the oil changed and replaced the one way bearings on the primary. That plus the new belt definitely made a difference in starting off with high gear. So far it hasn't bucked and I'll cross my fingers that it doesn't anymore.

Thanks again for all the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts