Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Haven’t done anything to the commander for awhile. I’ve been wanting some door tops for winter but the only thing I’ve found are ones you have to unzip. So I started some gull wing doors to go with the suicide doors. Some pics below of what I got done today, mostly finished the driver’s side.

I intend to use a pop pin as a latch, which will lock into the pro armor latch bracket. Hopefully I can use a lift strut like holds a truck's toolbox open to lift the doors(I used 3/4 conduit so it’s light but a pita to weld with a stick welder). I intend to use marine grade clear vinyl and attach with grommets and bungee balls, which worked good on my Rhino. I have plastic plugs for the open ends of the tubing and a garage door gasket to run under the roof and cover the hinge area.

EDIT: No idea why it tripled the pics (Hate this new format!!!!!!)
2871EBA2-E58E-41BF-B8A2-BF86F0D1FF8F.jpeg
2871EBA2-E58E-41BF-B8A2-BF86F0D1FF8F.jpeg
30AA2E97-AA1B-4FBC-B719-679BBB534BDF.jpeg

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s this danged new site format. I hate it. Last time I tried to add a pic it randomly took photos from my phones album. This time it posted the ones I chose in triplicate.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Very very cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a little time today so mostly finished the upper door frames, aside from painting and installing the clear vinyl. I added a lever for opening from the outside and raised the pull on the pop pins. I made handles so you can lift them from inside and simple latches to hold them open. This project has been a little move involved than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
It’s this danged new site format. I hate it. Last time I tried to add a pic it randomly took photos from my phones album. This time it posted the ones I chose in triplicate.
Oh geez that’s not good!! I’d get banned if that happen to me

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Really liking the idea!! Wish I had that much time and mostly the talent but you know us stupid steering wheel holders

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, as I mentioned, I used bungee balls and grommets to attach the vinyl. The reason I used this method is I can do it myself and not hire someone to sew them, which goes along with having to replace them when they get scratched up, probably every two or three years, depending on how much brush I go through. Covering one window with 30 gauge vinyl, grommets and bungees cost between $20-$25.

Gonna wash it and put the rear window on (tusk brand) and cover the other one and the side rear quarter windows plus add some weather stripping at the top and around the lower doors etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts