Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.5 yr. old QSC Rev X Primary locked up last week and stalled the Commander in the driveway. It stalled the engine anytime I tried to start it and put into any gear except P or N. Upon inspection, the Primary was "stuck" about halfway in/out and the belt was hung up. I decided to clean the Primary (belt dust) and service the One-Way. while rotating/fussing with the Primary it "popped" back out to where I would expect it to be when the engine is not running, and let go of the belt. I removed the belt and inspected the One-Way (on the crank shaft still) and it 'squeaks' and has a rough spot when rotating. I pulled the Primary bolt and expected the outer sheave/spider to pop off under spring pressure but it did not. Eventually the entire Primary popped off and now the outer and inner sheaves are stuck and I can't get to the One-Way to service/replace it.
Googling "how to separate QSC Primary sheaves" and just about every other iteration of that returns very little useful info. I have an email to Adam at QSC but am sure he's busy as always and may not ever provide any suggestions for this since this is a "bought and paid for" Primary. Any suggestions...? I have the ability to provide heat (MAP Gas, Propane Gas), various weights of sledge hammers :sad, impact hammer, wooden wedges, soft blow hammer, etc. but am really leary about going to town on Aluminum without destroying it...

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
Those take tools to break them down if I recall . I believe the spider threads on the main post just like how popo sled clutches work . Pictures would sure help .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adam replied. "That spider is threaded on and torqued to 600 ft/lbs. It takes about 1000 ft/lbs to break it loose. I can do this for you here.. I'm done messing with it and am sending it back to Adam for service...

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Adam replied. "That spider is threaded on and torqued to 600 ft/lbs. It takes about 1000 ft/lbs to break it loose. I can do this for you here.. I'm done messing with it and am sending it back to Adam for service...
Good call as Adam will certainly get you up and running.
Very good people.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a follow up for what it's worth. Adam said he got the primary inspected and found the slider buttons were shot among other issues with the flyweights. No mention of the one-way bearing which is what it was originally sent in for to be serviced since the sheaves could not be separated without special tools. Nail in the coffin, I'm done with this Commander, it's time to move on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts