Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's some background on my tie-rods:

What TRE's do I have?

I put some new SATV TRE's in but now I have another problem, I can't t adjust them to get any less than 1/2" toe in, there's not enough adjustment as is.
Here's what I have:
So I'm thinking if I remove the tie rod sleeves and cut down each end of it maybe 3/16" - 1/4" or so that'll give me plenty of adjustment.
Can anyone see a problem with this? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
If those bolts that hold the rod end in the knuckle are 10mm those bolts will still be the weak leak. So cut them rods down .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The threads of SATV TRE's are 14mm.
You're saying cut the threaded ends of the TRE's or the adjusting sleeve?

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
I would only cut 1/8" off both ends on one rod. That way the rods don't end up being to short in 500 miles and you have to switch brands of joints. Do to a new set of quality rod ends end up being shorter than the ones you just bought.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cut the rod sleeve. I was referring to the rod bolts being 10mm not the joint.
OK thanks Ace! (y)
Is this a common problem?
Seems to me it's not something I should have to do but I'm not sure what was done on this thing by the previous owner.

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
Those ends look abnormally big bodied for their size . Which makes them longer . I had 3/4" outers on mine and they don't appear to be any larger than those other than the thickness.

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
They just started using those ends a while back. But rods have been around a lot longer. Looks like your old outers may have been all balls ends.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya, I seemd to have a little more adjustment with the old ones.
Doing the alignment as per your video, then checking it with a tape measure from center to center of the tires.

I thought they were theirs too but the SATV rep on here said they weren't when I PM'd him, I figured they looked like these which is their old MAverick ends, later he said I might be right,

maverick TRE's

Have you ever heard of anyone having to cut the sleeve before Ace?

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
Yeah lots of companies are using same parts so those mav ends could be same ends that all balls uses. The body is smaller on the old ones so rods don't have to be as short to get the adjustment out of them.

·
Super Moderator
26,281 Posts
If they design the rod around the joints . Then switch joints and the rod ends length is longer that makes the rod to long .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts