Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Can Am Commander Max DPS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my transmission on my 800 Commander Max, does anyone have a recommendation of a good place to take it for that service in the Phoenix area that won't charge an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Maybe make a post with looking for Phoenix AZ area shop in the title.

I replaced mine myself in my 2 seater commander. A real pain in the butt but doable. So you might consider that route too.

It seems like people have posted ranges of 12-15 hundred to well over $2000. Plus the gearbox is $2000ish. DONOT get an aftermarket gearbox. Been there. Have the T shirt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I replaced mine myself in my 2 seater commander. A real pain in the butt but doable. So you might consider that route too.

It seems like people have posted ranges of 12-15 hundred to well over $2000. Plus the gearbox is $2000ish. DONOT get an aftermarket gearbox. Been there. Have the T shirt.

Thanks for the reply, I'm considering doing it myself will I need an engine hoist or special tools? I will also check around the area and see who can do it and what price?

Pete

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the reply, I'm considering doing it myself will I need an engine hoist or special tools? I will also check around the area and see who can do it and what price?

Pete

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I didn’t use an engine hoist. I removed my roof and laid a 4x4 across the cage. I lifted the engine the few inches needed with a come along attached to the 4x4.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Nothing like special factory tools. Knuckle sockets were useful for getting the front diff loose - if you even need it loose with the max. I had a decent selection of sockets, wrenches (including some ratcheting wrenches) etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts