Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 commander limited 1000
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, looking for help/ input feedback. I have a 2014 commander 1000 Ltd. Back story- transmission was grinding going into high until it would only go into reverse. Pulled transmission apart and discovered the c-clips had been pushed from there grooves. The shift collars showed wear as did the gears where the shift forks engage. I replaced all the worn parts and put back together. When I fired it up, it went into all gears fine until I put into park and that’s when I heard a bang. I took apart again and discovered the park leaver was broke. The only thing I can think of is that the gears were not in neutral position when park leaver engaged. When I increased the rpm of the engine in park one gear engaged and overcame the leaver and broke it. Thoughts? Below is a picture of the broken linkage.
Thanks in advance for ideas.
I

·
Super Moderator
25,678 Posts
If that is what happened then you would have been in reverse and reverse on the shifter would have been natural. But I wouldn't think it would have shifted into low. You sure it was shifting into every gear before putting it back in the machine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I started machine first time after replacing parts it was in park. I let it idle until engine was warmed up then put in reverse without issue then neutral, high, low all without issue. Then I did reverse- put back in high then neutral, revere and finally park. When back in park I give the throttle a bump and that’s when I heard the bang and the sound of metal banging across a gear.

·
Super Moderator
25,678 Posts
Well shifter was in park obviously for the park lever to be engaged. But something wasn't in place in the gear sector being it was in gear when you tapped the throttle. When you put it back together this time. Be sure to bench test it. Secondary shaft turn freely in park and neutral. Then put shifter in low and high and count a revolution difference of output shaft while turning the secondary shaft . And of course reverse rotation when in reverse .

·
Super Moderator
25,678 Posts
Put Mark on secondary shaft and mark one spline of output shaft . Turn secondary several times and count the revolutions on the output then repeat in which ever gear you haven't counted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I get new leaver I’ll reassemble and check. Everything worked smoothly on the bench before I put back in. Could there be a problem with the shift drum? I’m just wondering if there is a way to tell if the shift drum assembly is in poor condition/ springs on it. Has anyone else had any issues with the shift drum assembly?

·
Super Moderator
25,678 Posts
Don't recall anyone have issue with the drum. But there's always that one. But it is easy to get it out of time when installing the shift drum. Troy is the mad man on gearboxes. Maybe he will see the thread and chime in.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
A bunch of close up pics of your parts once you dig back in . There are enough of us around that we should figure this out I hope .
There are timing marks and I would bet it was off by one tooth .

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Off by a tooth. Reminds me of someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
That's cold, Booger, talkin' about my sister, and all.
View attachment 66500
Darn I hope that’s all photo shop as that would give this old guy a heart attack if I bumped into her . She looks as she would have ya for lunch

·
Registered
949 Posts
Darn I hope that’s all photo shop as that would give this old guy a heart attack if I bumped into her . She looks as she would have ya for lunch

Actually, the only thing photo-shopped was her eyebrows, because it was a "glamour shot". Glad I didn't mention it was my twin sister.:cautious:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A bunch of close up pics of your parts once you dig back in . There are enough of us around that we should figure this out I hope .
There are timing marks and I would bet it was off by one tooth .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I solved my own problem. I did not have shifter cable installed when I tested transmission. That was the reason I broke the park lever. I replaced broken parts, installed a new shifter cable and purchased the shifter cable adjustment tool. The commander now works as it should.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts