Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of rigs y'all using for in the hauler? We just pulled the trigger and will be picking up a Genesis hauler - nothing fancy just a small 9k trailer so we can pack up and play somewhere for more than 3-4 hours. Was looking at an XLR micro boost - but they've been in high demand and my local dealer doesn't know when they'll get their order in. I have e-Track presently in my 14' utility trailer that I freaking love, takes less than 10 minutes to load/unload. Need to see where the frame rails run in relation to the Commander - hopefully somewhat close.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I never used the tie downs in my '08 Keystone Energy 260FS because they didn't go to the frame, just into the plywood base. Yeah, big "no" to using it after we had a friend tear out the tie down rings from the floor on their toy hauler.

For my 6x10 trailer to day trip, I used four of the 3k ratchet straps. Two of them on the rear using the top shock mount, and then using a clevis/D-ring on the front to tie down the front end. We're looking to upgrade to a 22-24 footer in case we want to take both the Commander and our new to us OG Mav XDS.

The next toy hauler we get will have frame attached tie downs, so something better than something stuck in holes in the plywood.

-Kris

·
Registered
37 Posts
When only option is a Plywood deck, make 1/4" thk. X 6" square plates drilled for the tu down pattern and install like huge washer under floor, should not pull out or damage the floor with a 2,000 pound ride, do same with "E" track bot can use smaller plates.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Genesis 19SS. Tie-downs have been sufficient anchor, but front locations have poor spacing. I haven't developed a fool proof method for strap attachment that will withstand a washboard road without loosening. Thinking of trying wheel bonnets, but will somehow have to secure them either front or rear of tire.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a stealth toyhauler and I use military cargo ratchet straps that have to snaphooks on them. I run an X pattern going from the rear hitch to the front hooks in the floor and then I put axle wraps around the front a arms and cross to the back hooks at the rear door. Tighten everything down and the commander becomes part of the trailer. Had a couple friends have their RZRs get loose with the hook style ratchet straps and one of them had the exhaust wear a hole in their rear door and the other one had their RZR go through their sliding glass door.

·
Registered
33 Posts
BluMtn, sounds like a great setup. I use the snap hook ratchets also, albeit too short for what you're suggesting. I'm sure I can figure something out to make the distance. My other issue is access while the toy in in place. Envisioning that if I lay the straps out on the hauler floor prior to loading the Mander, it would be pretty doable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the suggestions!

These last few weeks have been crazy for me - I haven't had much downtime from work to do a whole lotta anything - curse & blessing of being in the career I'm in.

We ended up picking up a Genesis 24FS and Oldernie nailed it -- tiedown locations suck. I'll be using the reverse X pattern and go from there. I checked out underneath - all points are into the frame so shouldn't have any problem with them coming out.

Now if I can just get a weekend I can carve out to head out and enjoy ourselves....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a stealth toyhauler and I use military cargo ratchet straps that have to snaphooks on them. I run an X pattern going from the rear hitch to the front hooks in the floor and then I put axle wraps around the front a arms and cross to the back hooks at the rear door. Tighten everything down and the commander becomes part of the trailer. Had a couple friends have their RZRs get loose with the hook style ratchet straps and one of them had the exhaust wear a hole in their rear door and the other one had their RZR go through their sliding glass door.

That looks like a neat and very tough one! Nice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts