Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Top Speed

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jodygray 
#1 ·
Was doing some digging around and was wondering if there was any trueth to the 70mph top speed on the 1000. If this is the case I would maybe like to get the bug in the ear of an aftermarket company on making a "programmer" to eliminate the gov. and the rev limiter. Any thouhgts?

#2 ·
The reported top speed is 72 MPH. That said, we do not necessarily know what RPM the motor is turning at that speed, so it might not be a matter of more RPMS. It's also very likely that the existing controllers will not work with this motor since the thorttle assembly (drive by wire) is completey different than what they use on the ATV line. I don't doubt there will be people actively researching what can be done, but it depends on how they have limited the top speed (or if it's limited at all). If they have the ECU programmed to just limit speed to their preset limit (which is what I have heard they have done) it seems like you would just tell the computer to raise or remove that limit. The problem is that if they have it set that the fuel and spark map are just not programmed above that limit, there may be more work that usual to make it hit higher speeds. This happened with the Rhino 700. If they are near the drag limited top speed on the engine, then it will take more work to pull more HP out to get more speed. It's just too early to say. I have to ask though, what sort of speeds are you wanting to see and why? Where we ride, 30-40 is about all we can see with any consistency, so 72 is well over what we deem necessary.

#3 ·
Was doing some digging around and was wondering if there was any trueth to the 70mph top speed on the 1000. If this is the case I would maybe like to get the bug in the ear of an aftermarket company on making a "programmer" to eliminate the gov. and the rev limiter. Any thouhgts?
The reported top speed is 72 MPH. That said, we do not necessarily know what RPM the motor is turning at that speed, so it might not be a matter of more RPMS. It's also very likely that the existing controllers will not work with this motor since the thorttle assembly (drive by wire) is completey different than what they use on the ATV line. I don't doubt there will be people actively researching what can be done, but it depends on how they have limited the top speed (or if it's limited at all). If they have the ECU programmed to just limit speed to their preset limit (which is what I have heard they have done) it seems like you would just tell the computer to raise or remove that limit. The problem is that if they have it set that the fuel and spark map are just not programmed above that limit, there may be more work that usual to make it hit higher speeds. This happened with the Rhino 700. If they are near the drag limited top speed on the engine, then it will take more work to pull more HP out to get more speed. It's just too early to say. I have to ask though, what sort of speeds are you wanting to see and why? Where we ride, 30-40 is about all we can see with any consistency, so 72 is well over what we deem necessary.
I agree 70mph in a SXS is hauling some Mail!!!

:cool:
SS

#8 ·
I know for some that a higher top speed is futile. However, in Arizona where we can ride them on the street (street legal) it makes it nice. I rode my Outy 800 all the time on the street. It rode like a dream, smooth as glass. I even took it on the interstate a couple of time for only a couple of miles. I could cruise at 75mph with no problems at all. The speed limit is 75mph on the interstate. The top speed I could get it to was 83mph. This is the only reason I would like a top speed of say 85mph on the commander. We also have some very very long and straight dirt roads out here. They are like 50 foot wide and go on forever. This would also be a nice place to open it up a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.