Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2020 Commander LTD. RT Pro 2" lift. 2" spacers.

Thinking about throwing 30x10s on there. Many people say I'll need clutch work if I go that big. I've never worked on a clutch before. Do I REALLY need to do clutch work? I don't wheel this thing super hard. Packed rocky dirt terrain mostly. I'm not overly hard on it when driving. If I really NEED to look at the clutch, what is the cheapest (and still decent) way to go about it. I would like to do the work myself, as I get to learn how the machine works that way, plus save a bundle on install...but...I've never done clutch work before. Fairly handy with a wrench though. Do you recommend it as a DIY for someone with almost no experience with clutches? Any input would be appreciated. Keep in mind...I don't need the BEST performance or anything...I just don't want to be breaking crap every time I take her out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had the lock up mod done by UATV Tech. It's not too hard to change clutches out. I did mine by myself, but a second set of hands might be helpful. You could run without clutch work, but probably wear stuff out faster, like your belt. I'd at least upgrade the springs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are good how to videos on commander clutches. You can do it yourself.
You think the lockup mod would be enough? I'm not looking to be able to rip this thing like a raped ape all the time. Just want to prevent unnecessary premature wear and breakage of parts. So, I'd need the property bolts to pull the primary and secondary, one bolt each, and otherwise, I shouldn't need any specialty tools? I have all the sockets, wrenches, ratchets, torgue, etc...

This mod requires: pull the primary, ship it off to UATV Tech, get it back, reinstall in reverse? That "easy"?

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
24,549 Posts
It’s that easy and I have video on my YouTube channel on how to do it . It’s actually on uatv-techs website . But the problem with 30” tires is the lack of low end gearing with factory clutches . So if you want to run 30” you can but there a big power to the ground loss going from 27” to 30”. You will be running in loading gear 90% of the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s that easy and I have video on my YouTube channel on how to do it . It’s actually on uatv-techs website . But the problem with 30” tires is the lack of low end gearing with factory clutches . So if you want to run 30” you can but there a big power to the ground loss going from 27” to 30”. You will be running in loading gear 90% of the time.
Watched your video this AM, really helpful and well done. So you think I will need the mod? If so, I'm down to do it. Can't get ahold of UATV today tho, text and emails...hopefully he gets back to me in the next day or 2.

You're saying I'll have to run in LOW most of the time or I should run in LOW most of the time? Seems crazy to me that 3" tires could drastically gimp this machine that much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In your opinion, am I asking for a bunch of headache and loss if I go to 30s? I can back out now....they're on order, but I could cancel. I love the idea of more clearance and a more aggressive stance/look, but not if I'm risking wear, parts, and huge losses.

·
Super Moderator
24,549 Posts
My opinion is a set of 28x10 with a decent 2” lift . Then you get clearance and not much power loss. And low most of the time with 30”. I ran 27” and high all the time . L was for loading it on the trailer .

·
Super Moderator
24,549 Posts
I have gone with 27” a good set of springs and no lift in high where 30” and a lift can go. I just have to look at the route through a little different. But I also don’t do mud .

·
Registered
265 Posts
The lock up is easy, and you can get the springs from them, too. I like the security of knowing it won't be a problem with bigger tires. I also like having clearance, but I ride some pretty nasty mountain trails that are covered with big rocks, and some gnarly mud holes and ruts. My opinion is that if you want bigger tires at least upgrade to lower engagement springs. There are guys on here who know a lot more than me, though, and they won't steer you in the wrong direction. Almost everything I've done to my machine has come from advice on this forum, and it's all been good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, just ordered everything needed to take care of all the issues it sounds like I'd run into. The mod, springs, HD bolts, tools, etc. According to UATV-Tech, it will address the huge delay in power from when you press the gas to movement, it will limit or remove any pre-mature wear on parts/belts, and will address the issue of losing HIGH gear power with bigger tires. Pretty stoked. Overall, the cost seems pretty worth it to be able to retain factory performance (or better) and go up in tire size. Ordered some Rage Thunder 30x10x14 tires and some Fuel Vector wheels as well. Downside....ONE wheel is on backorder till end of July! Just my luck! Thanks for the input and advice!

·
Registered
2019, Can Am Commander
12 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2020 Commander LTD. RT Pro 2" lift. 2" spacers.

Thinking about throwing 30x10s on there. Many people say I'll need clutch work if I go that big. I've never worked on a clutch before. Do I REALLY need to do clutch work? I don't wheel this thing super hard. Packed rocky dirt terrain mostly. I'm not overly hard on it when driving. If I really NEED to look at the clutch, what is the cheapest (and still decent) way to go about it. I would like to do the work myself, as I get to learn how the machine works that way, plus save a bundle on install...but...I've never done clutch work before. Fairly handy with a wrench though. Do you recommend it as a DIY for someone with almost no experience with clutches? Any input would be appreciated. Keep in mind...I don't need the BEST performance or anything...I just don't want to be breaking crap every time I take her out.

Thanks!
Howdy

yes you will need a clutch kit upgrade for that big of tires. I burnt a belt on my first trip. Upgraded when I got home.

·
Registered
2019, Can Am Commander
12 Posts
I will say you tube clutch upgrade is a life saver. Listen to them because the primary and secondary do pop off when loosened all the way. Torque it down correctly too. My secondary came off due to no torque just air gun on. Not good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts