Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with someone today about riding up steep slick rock and then onto dirt roads and then sand dunes and he asked what ply tires I had and what air pressure was in them. Hmmm, never gave it too much thought. I have 8 ply and run 10 psi front and 12 psi rear. He said he never puts more than 6 psi in his and sometimes less. So my question is, what is recommended by all of you that have varying terrain you ride on? Newbies sure have a ton to learn.
thx guys

·
Super Moderator
23,708 Posts
12 front 12 rear . 6 psi is great on a machine that weights in at 500 # but not a 2000+. If your crawling around at slow speed 6 maybe ok but anything above 10 mph and less than 10psi and you are looking at rim pinch . You start getting into higher speeds and to low pressure you will easily knock the bead off the wheel with side hits. Only issues with to much air is lack of traction . Far more issues with to low air. You run high speed with to low air and it will over heat the tire and cause the rubber to come apart from inside out. You won't see it till it won't hold air and or blows out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I run 15 lb,i ride everything from coral pink to top of the mountains and from mesquite to beaver plus. no problems

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
10 and 10 for me on every type of terrain on factory beadlocks. Never been an issue but then again Acefire says I drive like his mom.

What :: she bounces off rocks and trees so no steering input is required ??

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
12 front 12 rear . 6 psi is great on a machine that weights in at 500 # but not a 2000+. If your crawling around at slow speed 6 maybe ok but anything above 10 mph and less than 10psi and you are looking at rim pinch . You start getting into higher speeds and to low pressure you will easily knock the bead off the wheel with side hits. Only issues with to much air is lack of traction . Far more issues with to low air. You run high speed with to low air and it will over heat the tire and cause the rubber to come apart from inside out. You won't see it till it won't hold air and or blows out.
Great information Ace ( as always ) I will leave mine as is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
12 front and rear.

6 would be fine for the dunes at St. Anthony's, but that would be about it. I think my Commander comes in around 1400 pounds dry, then factor in riders, gear, cooler, etc., and you're knocking on 2000 pounds like Acefire said.

And that's riding everything from dirt to river crossings to national forest roads to trails.

-Kris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts