Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading up on skids for my Max Ltd. and the effort to install them. In almost all the videos I've watch the machine is lying on its side, or the front is suspended in the air, but I'm having a hard time finding anything showing how they got there. I have a typical residential garage, so there's nothing to suspend the front from, nor the height even if I did, but tipping the machine might be a possibility. How in the world are they doing this? I thought I read in the owners manual that a rollover would result in taking it to the dealer, so there's that concern too having it tipped for so long. If it's no big deal, then is there are particular side that should be up i.e., gas cap?

·
Registered
628 Posts
If I didn’t have a high lift and lifting slings , I would do same as plum crazy ? said. If you don’t have 2 sets of ramps use a floor jack under the rear hitch .

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a chain host on a beam in my garage that use to raise the front end up high enough to get the skds off. I have used the winch to raise it too

Highway

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree crazy58 that ramps might be the best/safest way to approach this. I have one set, could probably borrow another set from someone here at work. I guess I'm just getting old and lazy. Hate working on my back anymore if I can help it lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I'd LOVE to have a beam in my garage strong enough for hoisting, but that's not going to be an option. Even though I'll suck it up and do the install on my back, I'd still love to see a video some day of these guys tipping their $$$ rig on its side. For a skid install that is, not rolling it going into a corner too fast. I've seen those videos lol.

·
Vendor
350 Posts
We just get a couple guys on both sides and tip it. We keep it supported by putting a jack under the cage. When you tip it back, just let it sit for about an hour or so before starting so the oil has time to drain back down. I've also seen plenty of guys winch up a tree to do it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have removed my skid plates & panels a few times for maint. & sand removal by laying on my back ,it's not hard to do if you have an electric drill-driver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts