Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still learning on these Commanders.

When I put it in gear (H, L, or R) and barely push on the throttle (before the clutch even engages) it will die. I dont like to mash on it because of the "Commander Clunk". If I give it a bit more throttle at take off it is fine.

Is this something in the TPS?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine also does this when I first start it up cold, once it warms up it's all good. I was going to ask my dealer about this as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i think its something to do with that TPS. ALso, in the mornings when it is cold (teens or twentys here in Wyoming) it will fire right up, run for a few seconds then die. It will start right up again and run fine. Not real sure what the deal is.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Charge your battery maybe. The fuel injection on these things need a good battery. Just an idea.

Stiff

·
Registered
461 Posts
Similar problem

I have been recently encountering the same problem,
However, my problem started first with the engine light coming on intermittently and no limp mode..., it started intermittently at higher RPM's but has progressively been coming on more often...
My battery is fully charged, all wires tight and dry!!
Pretty sure my problem is in the TPS as I have encountered an incredible amount of dust...dust..dust...(did I say dust?)...yes, lots of it....in my last couple of outings...
Just as I was finishing my last ride the Commander would cut out at anywhere near idle....
So, I am starting from the front...double checking the filters, and going from there...
Oil seems o.k, not too dirty...
My bet is the TPS or Throttle body are gungked up!?!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have an answer for all of you. Mine has done this for a year now. Its the throttle position in the throttle body. I borrowed the throttle body off my buddies commander and mine ran perfect with his. You just have to take it to a dealer and adjust the throttle position. Dont let them tell you they will just reset the ECM cause that dont do any thing. They have to go in and adjust the throttle position.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Borrowed from another site:

idle air control motor on the side of the throttle body is sticking. You can remove the two phillips head screws holding it on. Once removed, check for dirt or corrosion on the plunger and where it makes contact with the throttle body. While it is out, cycle the key on and off to make sure it moves freely. If not, its probably out.

sent from my twin-turboed Razr

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a similar problem, I cleaned the air filter...fixed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the Commander apart over the weekend doing service work etc and decided to dig a little deeper on why it dies on tip in mainly when cold & sometimes when snapping the throttle in nuetral. Noticed some dust in the plenoem while changing the air filter. WTH! I am very anal about the maintainence and it is always done way before it is recommended, so I took out the air box & throttle body for inspection. Found dust in the throttle body & plenoem. I use stock air filters thinking they would be better - wrong! Anyways I cleaned the throttle body, air ducts,plenoem & air intake temp sensor and whala! no more issues, runs perfect. Put in a K&N & spread a film of die elec grease around the edges - so I should be good now. For those that have this issue definately check your throttle plate & plenoem.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
These machines have no Air idle position sensor they have a MATPS Manifold Air Pressure and Temperature Sensor which is mounted on top of the throttle body.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had the Commander apart over the weekend doing service work etc and decided to dig a little deeper on why it dies on tip in mainly when cold & sometimes when snapping the throttle in nuetral. Noticed some dust in the plenoem while changing the air filter. WTH! I am very anal about the maintainence and it is always done way before it is recommended, so I took out the air box & throttle body for inspection. Found dust in the throttle body & plenoem. I use stock air filters thinking they would be better - wrong! Anyways I cleaned the throttle body, air ducts,plenoem & air intake temp sensor and whala! no more issues, runs perfect. Put in a K&N & spread a film of die elec grease around the edges - so I should be good now. For those that have this issue definately check your throttle plate & plenoem.
I to have had problems with the stock filter letting dirt through, first time I figured it was getting around the filter so I greased it. Checked again and found that its not getting around but through it instead grease was clean and showed a good seal all the way around. Im going to give a new stock filter a 2nd try and see again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We never had an issue until this year. But this year we mainly have been riding up in the mountains on the dusty fire roads, normally we mainly ride the dunes. I had cleaned the air intake temp sensor & changed the air filter first with no change. It wasn't until I cleaned the thottle body until it was fixed. Definately keep an eye on your stock air filter because I don't think it catches all the dirt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts