Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 commander 800, right now it idles weird. Has a small sputter like it can't figure out how much fuel it needs. It will idle fine then sputter. Doesn't matter if it's warmed up or on a cold start. Does the same thing while riding especially when you are trying to just putt around. If you mash the throttle sometimes it sputters then picks up runs fine, other times it doesn't do it at all. I went for a short ride with no problems then started it up today and it had this issue...any ideas?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Check spark arrestor on the muffler. Could be clogged. Fouled plugs. If old change out n eliminate that possibility. Fuel pump needs to be 50 Psi

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will start there first. Can the spark arrestor cause a backfire. When siting at an idle, if I rev the gas I will get a backfire once in a while.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Not sure.. If it's clogged it won't run right. I had an aftermarket muffler that would pop on let off but never back fire. That's no bueno buddy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will start at the plugs. It acts the same as when you have a gummed up carb or bad gas. With all the electronic stuff I'm lost with it. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said it came outta nowhere. I took a short ride with no issues put it in the garage and then wham!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
K. Def change plugs if u had for a while or bought used. U could pull them n look but they are only like 5 bucks each so might as well. Def do the spar arrestor. Spark arrestor needs to be cleaned on driver side of muffler behind those three Allen heads. I took mine out after clogging it. It ran like crap n I about flipped down a hill Bc I hit the gas n it decided to do what I wanted n that was bad lol.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Maybe bad gas or something In fuel filter inside tank. Or slow pump

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Only use 87 octane fuel, sounds like bad gas or high octane gas. Could be the air sensor located on top in the intake by the throttle body. Spark plugs are cheep. The spark arrestor is a metal screen in the outlet of the muffler, clean it anyway you need to, but you'll have to take it out to clean it. Wire brush/water. Low fuel pressure will cause this issue. Check it you should have 50#.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So drained the fuel and refilled with 87...still the same issue. Soon as it cools I'm gonna pull the plugs. Could the higher octane gas foul the plugs?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts