Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post on the Can Am Commander FB page saying you can switch from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive on the fly. I've always stopped to switch, like when you switch from low to high. Anyone on here go from 2 to 4 wheel drive on the fly?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
As long as rear wheels are not spinning. You good to switch. Front drive shaft and rear drive shaft need to be turning at same speed or it will not engage and may cause damage over time.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I usually let off the throttle for a few seconds when switching in or out of 4wd if rolling along. Like Acefire said make sure your not spinning when engaging 4wd

·
Registered
124 Posts
You want to even out the throttle.
On slick surface like ice or snow, its safer to stop first. if the tires are slipping from either gassing or engine breaking you don't want to try it on the fly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Good to know! Removes a major PITA!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Hmmm...interesting

2011 Can Am Commander
Racer Tech dual Rate springs
Racer Tech 2" Lift
Rear cage extension/bench seat converted 4 seater
CSI Full cab w/BRP Windshield
Arcticbomb Sport Low Mod
72" Eagle Plow

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I always let off throttle to switch and never an issue in 13,000 kilometers, but last weekend, a small pop was heard when I did it. But I think it's something else as when I am stuck and the visco comes on, it grind a bit so I may be on to something else :(

·
Registered
648 Posts
There's a switch? I usually don't bother with it unless I driving on a road or something.

·
Registered
231 Posts
14 model 1000XT has warning stickers on console stating not to shift gear box or 4x4 while in motion.
Will go take a picture of it

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I always let off throttle to switch and never an issue in 13,000 kilometers, but last weekend, a small pop was heard when I did it. But I think it's something else as when I am stuck and the visco comes on, it grind a bit so I may be on to something else :(
A buddy of mine did the same. busted the little plastic pin that engaged the front end. it slips a gear in, which it was plastic also. but this was an outlander and in 06, I don't remember exactly what was broke but I seen the parts laying on his floor while he worked on it.

All BRP 4x4s say to come to a complete stop. But! who listens to anyone anyway?

My 06 never broke. still have it. My 14 works the same way. just don't let off all the way or be on the gas and it wont hurt anything or make a noise. JMO!

·
Registered
194 Posts
A buddy of mine did the same. busted the little plastic pin that engaged the front end. it slips a gear in, which it was plastic also. but this was an outlander and in 06, I don't remember exactly what was broke but I seen the parts laying on his floor while he worked on it.

All BRP 4x4s say to come to a complete stop. But! who listens to anyone anyway?

My 06 never broke. still have it. My 14 works the same way. just don't let off all the way or be on the gas and it wont hurt anything or make a noise. JMO!

Did that with our 05 outlander also, $1800.00 bucks to fix, covered under warranty luckily.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've switched from 2wheel to four-wheel-drive on the fly on my Canam outlander for 6000 miles not one problem then 7200 miles on my commander Not one problem Then 1000 miles so far on my Maverick not one problem. If you do exactly like acefire said you'll never have a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
i just keep normal speed with no spinning tires nor do i let off and switch..no prob..in and out all day lol

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm in 4x4 95% of the time! LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question... I just bought this past weekend a 2014 commander that has 1k miles and the owner says he never put it in 4wd so my first weekend i put it in 4wd and couldn't get it to disengage. I removed the 4x4 actuator and reinstalled 3 times and I can hear the actuator working but not enough to get it back into 2wd. On the inside of the columb there is a lever that takes it from 2wd to 4wd and I took a screwdriver to get it out of 4wd but it seems to tight for a actuator to push it forward or is that how it should feel? I have a actuator on order now

·
Registered
2015 Commander 1000 XT
3 Posts
I picked up a new-to-me '15 Commander this past Spring. Being my first Can-Am, I was a good boy and read the manual. (There's no TV, Internet or cell service at my camp anyway.) As the book says, I was dutifully coming to a full stop to shift in and out of 4wd, and enduring the verbal abuse from my Polaris, Yamaha and Kawasaki buddies as they drove by laughing. I was beginning to consider this a major PITA. There is an excellent BRP dealer near camp, so while there picking up some stuff a couple weeks ago, I asked the Service Manager about this. He kind of looked at me like I had two heads then smiled and said the same thing: As long as the wheels are all turning at the same speed, it's fine to switch on the fly. Just don't do it in the middle of a mud hole or blasting up a rocky hill. Thanks for the excellent advice on this forum. I have learned a lot here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts