Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock Commander XT comes with this mess:

I contacted Custom Splice and ordered up 1/4" x 50 (yellow rope of course) AmSteel Blue. The new rope has 8600 lbs breaking strength. Also got a 6 inch 6061 aluminum fairlead, with black hard coat anodize so I could ditch the old roller.

The installation was pretty simple, but very time consuming (maybe 1 1/2 hours). Not because the rope was hard to work with, but just because Can-Am uses allen head bolts that are very hard to do much with. It is a time-consuming process to spin four bolts out when you can only get about 1/8 of a turn out of each movement.

I do need to pull the rope all the way out and back in to line it up nicer on the winch, but it all fits well.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
On my XT winch I took off the cable an put on the Can Am synthetic rope. It is lighter and won't cut your hand up if you don't have gloves on. I also got a 50' extension synthetic rope to boot (kept in my tool bag). It only took me about 15 minutes to put in.

I didn't have to take apart anything, just unwind the old cable pull out the end, put the end of the new synthetic rope in the hole and hooked the other end to the hitch of my truck and wound it up by using the winch motor to pull the Commander to the truck.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
AmSteel Blue is the Way to go.
I have the Genuine AmSteel Blue instock in a few colors, Red, Orange, Yellow, Charcoal, OD Green, Silver, and course Blue.

We Stock the Aluminum Fairleads that fit the 4.0's I have them in Silver and Black.

If you bought a Commander without a winch I also have you covered as I have the Warn 4000MT instock, same as the Warn XT just adds a shackle and a tree saver.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
490 Posts
Stock Commander XT comes with this mess:

I contacted Custom Splice and ordered up 1/4" x 50 (yellow rope of course) AmSteel Blue. The new rope has 8600 lbs breaking strength. Also got a 6 inch 6061 aluminum fairlead, with black hard coat anodize so I could ditch the old roller.

The installation was pretty simple, but very time consuming (maybe 1 1/2 hours). Not because the rope was hard to work with, but just because Can-Am uses allen head bolts that are very hard to do much with. It is a time-consuming process to spin four bolts out when you can only get about 1/8 of a turn out of each movement.

I do need to pull the rope all the way out and back in to line it up nicer on the winch, but it all fits well.

Sweet info!! I am definitely going to be replacing my steel cable on my XT. PM Sent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How does it stand up against the cable, we ride a lot of muskeg and mud so we are always winching.

Do you ship to Canada?

Can you PM me the cost please.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
How does it stand up against the cable, we ride a lot of muskeg and mud so we are always winching.

Do you ship to Canada?

Can you PM me the cost please.

I will PM you in a sec.

These AmSteel Blue Ropes are great in the Mud!

The Rope is 1/7 the weight of Cable and Stronger.

As long as you keep it away from Hot and Sharp Objects, you will be fine.

Shipping on these rope to Canada is 14.00, it is not enabled on my website, so we just do it by PayPal.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Synthetic is the way to go. I had the steel on my 4.0 winch for the Woodsbuggy. After awhile it takes a memory set and is a pain to get respooled. Then the wires start to break and stab your hands. The biggest difference is the safety factor. A steel cable can rip a pretty big gash in your body when it breaks. The synthetic will drop to the ground. There are however two downsides to the Synthetic. You need to use the protectice sleeve over rocks and keep it clean and dry for longer life. BTW the color does fade rather quickly however will not effect it.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Synthetic is the way to go. I had the steel on my 4.0 winch for the Woodsbuggy. After awhile it takes a memory set and is a pain to get respooled. Then the wires start to break and stab your hands. The biggest difference is the safety factor. A steel cable can rip a pretty big gash in your body when it breaks. The synthetic will drop to the ground. There are however two downsides to the Synthetic. You need to use the protectice sleeve over rocks and keep it clean and dry for longer life. BTW the color does fade rather quickly however will not effect it.
Great points!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Steel sucks, you are right. Plus no stretch factor in a bad situation like the rope. Rope lasts longer for sure when you plow.

The key to the synthetic is just like you are saying. After a ride, rinse the mud off so the spool of rope can dry. If it stays wet and mildews bad it seems to loose strength. I rinse mine after the ride and keep the mud off which traps moisture in and have had no problem. With the rope you also want to unspool and then respool guiding it on layer by layer and neatly about once a year depending on how much you use your winch to eliminate any tangle or binding on the spool issues. Same as steel in that respect. The color fades with use as Od said, the more you use it the end nearest the hook will start to look a little white if you have dark rope, no worries keep using it.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Steel sucks, you are right. Plus no stretch factor in a bad situation like the rope. Rope lasts longer for sure when you plow.

The key to the synthetic is just like you are saying. After a ride, rinse the mud off so the spool of rope can dry. If it stays wet and mildews bad it seems to loose strength. I rinse mine after the ride and keep the mud off which traps moisture in and have had no problem. With the rope you also want to unspool and then respool guiding it on layer by layer and neatly about once a year depending on how much you use your winch to eliminate any tangle or binding on the spool issues. Same as steel in that respect. The color fades with use as Od said, the more you use it the end nearest the hook will start to look a little white if you have dark rope, no worries keep using it.

Only thing I would add is to take and Apply Tension when you are reloading the drum. I tie to a tree and go down hill from the tree and winch up, or I put the sxs, atv or truck in reverse, and winch in.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I purchased a replacement synthetic cable and fairlead from Custom Splice. The service was incredible. Everything is shipped, just waiting now!

Thanks Todd.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts