Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Commander 1000

When shifting from park to high I have about a 15% chance of hearing a loud grinding noise. It sounds like the clutch is not engaging. This will not happen if I shift gears from park to low or low to high. When I shift it is from a stopped position and with the motor at idle. I have 170 hours on the bike and the factory one-way bearing was serviced at 120 hours. The Mav belt was replaced at 120 hours. From scouring over past postings, it seems that the likely culprit is one or all of the flowing: 1) one-way bearing, 2) misaligned clutch fork, or 3) clutch cable. When this happens and after the grinding, it will shift into high and with full engagement.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
Sounds like oneway . But you can disconnect the cable at the gearbox and manually rotate the arm and see if you have same issues.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Servicing a bad "OEM" Chinese, only shielded on one (1) side bearing is locking the barn after the horse is stolen !
Especially if service was performed by a "Stealer"

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I can tell, it's the bearing at a minimum. I ordered the UATV replacement. Funny how it only has the problem when shifting to high. It's apparently been a persistent issue for years but no telling when it will happen. Certainly the shifting seems to start getting stiffer. After the stealer serviced the bearing it was smoother but only for a short time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Update: the issue was with the shift cable. The dealer fixed this free as i had the plastics off and immediately diagnosed it as a cable issie. On the driver side (there is a pic some here on this side in a previous post) there is a shift adjustment viable when the top most panel is removed. One can loosen or tighten the cable after loosening the lock nut. I tighten it in a couple of turn with a small wrench and now positively locks into high. I'd check this before changing out your one way bearing. I now have a good USA made Timken one way bearing (the original is made in Tiewan) as a spare that was bought from UATV / Bollax.

https://goo.gl/images/Ft93RA

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts