Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Can Am Commander 1000DPS with a total of 5k miles.
My Superatv Rack and Pinion is likely out of warranty now but has had minimal use and just failed me while I was 900 miles away from home on a trip. Major bummer and there was no incident! Anyway I started feeling a clunking transferring to the frame and then out of nowhere the steering wheel just started spinning freely with a grinding felling. I read past threads that some folks have found their Superatv R&P was assembled with no grease. I have not abused this machine and for this heavy duty R&P to fail so quickly is quite disappointing.
I did send Superatv an email regarding this issue and am hoping they will consider helping me with this issue even if out warranty and if not would like to hear of other products that folks have found more reliable.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE! This failure was NOT form the Superatv Rack and Pinion. This was a result of the recalled steering coupling on 06/29/2016 Possible Loss of Steering - Steering Coupling Stripping on Rack and Pinion Assembly . Not sure why but I don't remember receiving a recall back then.
Has anyone replaced the splined portion on a Superatv R&P?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2013 Can Am Commander 1000DPS with a total of 5k miles.
My Superatv Rack and Pinion is likely out of warranty now but has had minimal use and just failed me while I was 900 miles away from home on a trip. Major bummer and there was no incident! Anyway I started feeling a clunking transferring to the frame and then out of nowhere the steering wheel just started spinning freely with a grinding felling. I read past threads that some folks have found their Superatv R&P was assembled with no grease. I have not abused this machine and for this heavy duty R&P to fail so quickly is quite disappointing.
I did send Superatv an email regarding this issue and am hoping they will consider helping me with this issue even if out warranty and if not would like to hear of other products that folks have found more reliable.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the splines stripped I would first of all look hard at the coupling and the squeeze bolt condition. If the squeeze bolt gets loose or stretches then that could have created the issue. I do not know what the manual says but that is a periodic maintenance item I check on any of my OHV's.

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
I had two strip first one was at 1200 ish miles second one didn't last 800. Rack pinion splines were never hurt. If the coupler took out the splines on the pinion that should tell you the rack was junk. The pinion shaft should have been hardened steel. The coupler is cast. No way cast destroys hardened steel.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts