Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be installing a set of +4 trailing arms on my 2012 Commander X. I have built a custom cage with a rear bench seat for the kids and had some issues climbing steep hills. Front tires wanted to come off the ground way too easily. I have a set of axle stenders and would like to use my stock axles. Is this possible? Also pulled my rear diff looking into moving it back as far as I can and extending my rear drive shaft. Hoping the combination of the two will help me stick with stock axles.. If not maybe its just worth buying aftermarket axles? Another option is possibly getting it over with and swapping to a maverick diff.

30" tires and cvtech cutch going in. Also just found out previous owner sold this to me with the non performance key included lol! 4 years of driving on the normal key.. FML Just clued into this after it caps out at 45mph and feels like its lacking power for a 1000

Thanks for any input!
20200916_210054.jpg

·
Super Moderator
25,416 Posts
Installing the extended rear arms is going to help but probably not going to stop the your issue. It may even make it worse. The springs aren’t heavy enough to stop the rear from squatting with the extra weight in the back . As for the axle length unless you move the diff you probably aren’t going to get sway with running the stick axles .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definatly going to go to stiffer spring but want to get it all back together and put in on some scales to get a better idea of spring rate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can pick up a Maverick Diff new for $650 Canadian.. not sure if this is a good deal or not? part number is 705501912
Can-Am 2013-2015 Maverick 1000 STD XRS Max XMR XXC Rear Differential 705501912 New OEM

·
Super Moderator
25,416 Posts
The stock diff in US is 650. So if you can get mav diff for 650 ca you are getting a deal.

·
Vendor
348 Posts
Yeah, you're going to need the good 2.0 axles for the rear if you go with the trailing arms. And nice lift! Those are made just down the street from us.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would just get a Max, or make some quick-attach wheelie bars.:) I'm lazy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pulled the trigger on the mav diff so its on the way! going to try and keep stock drive shaft length and move diff as far back as i can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, you're going to need the good 2.0 axles for the rear if you go with the trailing arms. And nice lift! Those are made just down the street from us.
love the rotary lift! has been good to me!!!

going to try to stick with stock axles and move diff back

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know if I could get a 2015-2019 rear drive shaft to fit in my 2012 gear box and the Mav diff on the other end? Looks like the gear box hasn't changed and they both use the same yoke on the diff end? Seal?

·
Super Moderator
25,416 Posts
The newer model commander diff doesn’t use the older yoke wear sleeve. Mav diff the way I read it uses the wear sleeve. Something is different between the commander and the mav. Can am parts guy has the kit and a new driveshaft is in the kit and states it has the correct yokes for the mav diff. So I don’t know I never had any issue with my 13 diff so never switched it over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I will have to look deeper into it. Might just buy the Mav yoke and swap mine over. Just have a little play side to side in my slip yoke I'm not sure about.

Progress tonight.. Weight reduction!

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Not sure on the difference In the 2 shafts, but i do know you can buy a mav drive shaft either way, older style smaller yoke that uses wear ring, or newer style biger yoke that doesn't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok cool thanks for the info. I ended up ordering a 715900499. Should be the yoke with no wear ring. Just going to put it on my commander shaft and hope the small amount of play in the slip yoke is fine

·
Registered
300 Posts
Has anyone ever just extended the frame where the trailing arms mount, instead of extending the arms, or is that a dumb idea? I'm months away from my machine so I can't look at it, but this seems easily doable. Am I wrong?

·
Super Moderator
25,416 Posts
You can do that. But you only gain wheel base length. You are increasing the wheel travel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So diff showed up and the amazon add was very misleading. This was the title for the add:
Can-Am 2013-2015 Maverick 1000 STD XRS Max XMR XXC Rear Differential 705501912 New OEM
Turned out to be a used diff but it came with the yoke aswell. Looks like a new diff in Canada will be over $1000 new. This one was 650 plus 15 for shipping.

Seems to be in good shape and tight. Might just change the seals and run it. I asked for a refund but at this point I don't think it's worth shipping back. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts