Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Super ATV Rack and Pinion on Dec 6 2019 because mine crapped out on me and caused me do do a little minor role over. Installed new one and on 4/16/20 they had to send me another one because the first one was locking up. I believe this is what started my knuckle to start stripping out also. Might have rode it 3 times and on 7/8/20 I put in the shop for electrical issues and got it out 9/2/20. Changed steering knuckle and rode it Labor Day weekend and the steering was tight. Now it's locking up turning to the left at random times. I haven't had a chance to jack up and check it but are these racks just trash? Should I cut my loses and buy a rackzilla? I'm emailing them but I know they are going to want a video of it locking up.

·
Super Moderator
25,384 Posts
It was probably assembled with no grease. Like most of the others that have worn out in couple hundred miles.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put marine grease on the shafts but that was all i did. read something about a bushing on passenger side coming out. Will check that this weekend and see if that could be the issue.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Bushing on old one is still in it so that wasn't the issue on that one.
How much slop in drivers side? There is a 15/16 Allen that needs to be tightened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
My rackboss had zip for grease and a sad attempt at a bushing on the passenger side . I put grease mixed with WS2 in mine . The teeth in mine had zero grease . Dry metal on metal won’t last long

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much slop in drivers side? There is a 15/16 Allen that needs to be tightened

I'll look at that in the morning. On my way to work now.

My rackboss had zip for grease and a sad attempt at a bushing on the passenger side . I put grease mixed with WS2 in mine . The teeth in mine had zero grease . Dry metal on metal won’t last long

Stopping to get me a allen plug to take plug out of center and check the old one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How tight should I tighten it? I took the old on to work and took it apart. Behind that 15/16 allen bolt is a spring, washer and rubber gasket that is horse shoed on the inside of the rack. A piece of it was broke off and causing it to hang. Wonder if I can replace that part. Everything else looks good in it.

·
Super Moderator
25,384 Posts
You can replace it if you can make it. You tighten it up till it binds up then back it off till it moves with just a little resistance. That puck sets the backlash on the pinion gear to the shaft . If igs to tight it can get extremely stiff not sure it could lock it up or not but wouldn't want that to happen at 30 mph.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, I’ll give that a try this weekend. I can’t make that piece but I’ll keep it around for the parts

·
Vendor
347 Posts
Looks like you're still under warranty, and flukes happen like this sometimes. Sorry about that. We sell a ton and get some random issues once in awhile, but on the grand scheme they've been great. We can shoot one through the cq department and make sure its good for your warranty. Give us a call at 855-743-3427.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Looks like you're still under warranty, and flukes happen like this sometimes. Sorry about that. We sell a ton and get some random issues once in awhile, but on the grand scheme they've been great. We can shoot one through the cq department and make sure its good for your warranty. Give us a call at 855-743-3427.
You guys do sell a ton of them since I do see a ton of complaints on Facebook about slop with little to no miles. Problem always seem the drivers side is never set right from the factory or wears in super fast. I plowed with mine last winter and had less than 10 miles on it and it was sloppy. I replaced the bushing on the passenger side before I even installed it. You could feel it wasn’t as tight as I felt it
Should be from the factory.
So yes great design the strength is there but the quality of the bushings was skipped and the rack were basically doomed from day one since the rack to pinion is too loose

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Probably not any farther since the end is mushroom

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From there directions it looked like they had it all the way in. I'm not seeing it going in any further.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts