Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
If you have a rear cage and seat you need more spring in the front and rear not a bar up front. These machines are way under sprung from the factory. Top heavy because of it. Then you added more weight up top above the body center line. With the added weight and leverage your factory spring on front are about 100 lbs under sprung on each side . And rear is at minimum 200 on each side . Plus with the added weight of the springs the front bar woukd actually be of better use at least until it breaks. Which doesn't happen often but it has happened.

I once had an old friend tell me to throw my front commander sway bar off a cliff. While doing some maintenance I found mine broken. I don’t when it broke but I never noticed it or replaced it. [emoji2373]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good question that I can't answer. They were probably designed back in 2011 or 2012, and whichever one of our guys that was on that project just didn't feel like we needed them. That kit hasn't changed a bit since they were released. Probably like me and a few others, and just didn't like the front sway bars on the Commander. The full forward offset A-arms do have the sway bar attachment though. They are are also much more popular. because of the offset and the ability to run bigger tires.
I'm sure in 2011-2012 Commanders didnt have front sway bars but that was a LONG time ago. Like Jay said it wouldn't be hard at all to add tabs when they're made, maybe if they were added you'd sell more of them.

Don't shoot the messenger here! Lol! I wasn't around long ago when those were designed. I don't think I've ever really had a complaint on them before until I caught this thread. The forward arms (complete set) DO have the sway bar tabs if you choose to use them. I can't say why the lowers were designed that way, and we've never really had an issue or request to add them before...that I know of, besides this thread.

I'll definitely pass along the recommendation.

Это хороший вопрос, на который я не могу ответить. Они, вероятно, были разработаны еще в 2011 или 2012 году, и кто бы из наших ребят ни участвовал в этом проекте, он просто не чувствовал, что они нам нужны. Этот комплект ничуть не изменился с тех пор, как их выпустили. Наверное, как я и еще несколько человек, и просто не понравились передние перекладины на командире. Однако у полностью смещенных вперед А-образных рычагов есть крепление качающейся штанги. Они также гораздо более популярны. из - за смещения и возможности бегать на больших шинах.
Tell me, when installing the Can-Am Commander High Clearance 1.5 " Forward Offset A-Arms kit, do all the original half-axles pop out of the front differential on the go?
or do I need to install an extended axle ?

Tell me, when installing the Can-Am Commander High Clearance 1.5 " Forward Offset A-Arms kit, do all the original half-axles pop out of the front differential on the go?
or do I need to install an extended axle ?
We include axle spacers with that kit just in case. Its kind of hit and miss with different Commanders. Some do and some don't. I'd say to just go ahead and use the axle spacers included in the kit just in case.

The instructions that came with my extenders state to only use the included washer as a spacer behind the nut if needed on some aftermarket rear axles to get the slots in the castle nut to line up with the cotter pin hole in the axle. The belleville washer is still used.
There is no mention of the spacer washer in the instructions for the front axle.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Since I started this thread I thought I would give a final update. I installed the Superatv high clearance lower A-arms and removed the front sway bar. I took my machine to Moab and road several mixed terrain trails. I did not notice any significant differences in handling or body roll, bud did appreciate the increased clearance. Overall I am very happy with the A-arms and don't miss the sway bar.

If you are running the sway bar the only thing it's doing is creating less traction in the curves. As the outside shock compresses it will actually lift the inside tire. And if running hard enough it can lift it off the ground. So put your new arms on and enjoy. And take the bar to top of the hill and chuck it over. You won't miss it you will actually get more joy from it being gone.

On side note if those arms are the forward arched arms be prepared to buy new axles. Factory axles are to short and the the rhinos satv sells for them are to short as well.
What axles do you recommend?

It depends on how much more length is needed. Maverik xxc axles are 1/2" longer than commander axles. For the price you won't find a stronger axle than oem axles. If needing more than a 1/2 then for cheap but not really cheap cobras out of Texas. Then for high quality turners or rcv. But the turners and rcv are in the 500 to 800 each price range not 200 and 300.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.