Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on this forum have experience with the Super ATV high clearance lower A arms. I like the fact that they allow you to adjust camber, and they are beefier in construction, but they do not have a bracket for the sway bar. I haven't put them on my machine yet, because I am not sure I want to remove the sway bar. If you have used them did you just remove the front sway bar, or has anyone built a custom bracket and kept the sway bar?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Acefire says take the sway bar off, climb the highest hill you can find and throw that thing down in the holler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
If you are running the sway bar the only thing it's doing is creating less traction in the curves. As the outside shock compresses it will actually lift the inside tire. And if running hard enough it can lift it off the ground. So put your new arms on and enjoy. And take the bar to top of the hill and chuck it over. You won't miss it you will actually get more joy from it being gone.

On side note if those arms are the forward arched arms be prepared to buy new axles. Factory axles are to short and the the rhinos satv sells for them are to short as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Am I missing something here? Mine doesn't have a sway bar. Or maybe the previous owner threw it off the top of a hill???

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh ok, thanks. Mine ain't a X or XTP, just a plain old 800R

·
Vendor
360 Posts
We add the bracket to the complete forward offset arm kit, but not the kit that just includes the standard offset lower high clearance arms. Sorry man. I'm with Ace and Booger on the front sway bars. As soon as we get any machine in the shop, they're ripped off and chucked into the abyss of scrap metal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Found this post doing a Google search and just signed up as a member.
I just bought a 2016 Commander XTP that came with a bent lower A-arm and a brand new set of the SuperATV lower arms and was wondering the same thing about the sway bar.
Good info here, thanks.
Will

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed these on my 2013 X, without the sway bar is seems a little squirrely going down the trail/logging roads

·
Registered
56 Posts
I installed these on my 2013 X, without the sway bar is seems a little squirrely going down the trail/logging roads
Hmmm, that's not what I wanted to hear. Going to leave them on?

It seems weird SATV tells you "remove the sway bar, don't need it anyhow and it will handle better" but on their more 'high end' kit with uppers and lowers they made them so they work with the sway bar. :rolleyes:
Makes no sense. I'm thinking someone screwed up when they designed these arms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We add the bracket to the complete forward offset arm kit, but not the kit that just includes the standard offset lower high clearance arms. Sorry man. I'm with Ace and Booger on the front sway bars. As soon as we get any machine in the shop, they're ripped off and chucked into the abyss of scrap metal.
If that's the case why do you make your other kits compatible with the sway bar?
Seems to me you just say to take it off with the lower only arms cuz you guys forgot about the sway bar.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
The front swaybar causes a you to lose traction in the front when turning. The bar over powers the springs. When you turn left the right side shock and spring starts to collapse. As it does the bar actually starts lifting the left side tire and wheel. You take a turn hard enough it can and will left the inside tire off the ground. If tire is off the ground it's definitely not getting traction .

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
360 Posts
If that's the case why do you make your other kits compatible with the sway bar?
Seems to me you just say to take it off with the lower only arms cuz you guys forgot about the sway bar.
Its really all just personal opinion. I'm just one guy, and I prefer to run without it. Some guys here like it on. Its useful for high speeds for sure, but you get more articulation without it. Its just a give and take...and my own personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
224 Posts
I dunno, I've run with and without it, mud riding like I do, and with limit straps, It doesn't affect me personally either or.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its really all just personal opinion. I'm just one guy, and I prefer to run without it. Some guys here like it on. Its useful for high speeds for sure, but you get more articulation without it. Its just a give and take...and my own personal opinion.
Ok but why design the lower arm kits with no sway bar connection while the 1.5" upper/lower kit DOES?

These arms came with the Commander I bought, (the previous owner bent 1 of the lowers), if it didnt I just woulda bought a new stock a-arm!

·
Vendor
360 Posts
Ok but why design the lower arm kits with no sway bar connection while the 1.5" upper/lower kit DOES?

These arms came with the Commander I bought, (the previous owner bent 1 of the lowers), if it didnt I just woulda bought a new stock a-arm!
That's a good question that I can't answer. They were probably designed back in 2011 or 2012, and whichever one of our guys that was on that project just didn't feel like we needed them. That kit hasn't changed a bit since they were released. Probably like me and a few others, and just didn't like the front sway bars on the Commander. The full forward offset A-arms do have the sway bar attachment though. They are are also much more popular. because of the offset and the ability to run bigger tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seems silly to me to say because a few guys don't like them you would build and release them without at least the option to hook up the sway bar again. It is 2 tabs welded on during production, if you don't want to run it don't, but for the guys that want it then you have the option. I have a rear seat and cage for my kids so I prefer more stability and am not blasting at high speeds too often.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts