Can-Am Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,702 Posts
Still under powered . 800 and 1000 pretty much same power to 50 mph. And that’s higher than what you’re getting . Was that run in high or low gear?

·
Super Moderator
23,702 Posts
So 7200 isn’t plugs . Check the screen in muffler. If screen isn’t clean check fuel pressure. You you might pull the clutch cover and see if it already has a aftermarket clutch that was set up wrong .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It should have never shut down at 7200 rpm . Unless clutch is all out of wack.
That’s why my original post was about the STM CLUTCH? I’m considering buying one but they are 1500$ so I was looking for feed back on it

·
Super Moderator
23,702 Posts
All the feed back in the world does no good if it’s not a clutch issue. For the stock clutch to be that screwed up. It would need weights from a can am other than a commander. So if it’s the clutch then it’s not factory. And everyone that runs yes stm likes them till they have to work on it. Nothing on the market is more durable than a stock clutch. Only good thing about the aftermarket clutches is the lower gear ratio at take off. And a few have bought them and traded the high for the low. But regardless what clutch you go with if you have mechanical issues other than the clutch your still in same boat after putting the clutch on . So rule out the cheap fixes first then once you’re back to full power then make the decision as to whether or not you need a primary. When it will do 60 to 70 mph 96 to 110 km then your power issue is fixed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It should have never shut down at 7200 rpm . Unless clutch is all out of wack.
So I noticed the seat belt wiring was just disconnected as it don’t have factory seats in it. So I jumped the wiring and I just took it out. It’s very windy today n I was st 91 km hr at 7350 rpm. I have a half windshield and swamp light 29.5” tires. It is feeling better

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner has already jacked with the wiring or something. With the seat belt disconnected, the ecm limits speed to 9 mph without modification.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sounds like the previous owner has already jacked with the wiring or something. With the seat belt disconnected, the ecm limits speed to 9 mph without modification.
All I know is yesterday n previous I wasn’t able to get past 76 km hr

·
Super Moderator
23,702 Posts
Yeah if seat belts switch was unplugged and it would go over 13 mph it’s got some wiring gremlins. And plugging it back in shouldn’t have increased your speed at all. If it was already doing 76 before.

So your steering will turn farther one direction than the other?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yeah if seat belts switch was unplugged and it would go over 13 mph it’s got some wiring gremlins. And plugging it back in shouldn’t have increased your speed at all. If it was already doing 76 before.

So my steering was all whacked out n the guy I bought the machine off gave me a brand new steering rack. So I was going to just change my heavy duty tie rods off my old rack n put them on the new rack but the threads where a different size. I I used the old worm gear n rack n tie rods and put them in the new housing but now I can’t turn as tight. I have equil turn radius in both directions just can’t tirn as tight now.

·
Super Moderator
23,702 Posts
If you have equal turns left and right. How many turns from lock to lock? And how did you do the alignment?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

If you have equal turns left and right. How many turns from lock to lock? And how did you do the alignment?
Like 3/4 turn in each direction? I just put it up on jacks n messed with the tiedods till I got equal turn radius. At first I was getting 1.5 turn to right n 1/4 turn to left.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
When I rebuilt my rack and pinion I made sure to mark it center do I get equal travel in both directions so I had about .900” of a inch travel in each direction. But once I put it on machine like I said it would turn lots one way n badly the other so I had to crank one tie rod way out n the other pull it in. So I can turn both directions? I’m not sure if when I rebuilt the rack I was supposed to off set it in one direction I just figured it would be best to have it Center

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok maybe I’ll try the al
Rack needs to be centered. When installed and during the alignment.

ok I’ll try the alignment again. Is it best to do with on jack stands with wheels off or on ground with wheels on?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts