Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! Getting ready to add a stereo to my 2014 XT. I have everything I need and I'm no stranger to stereo installs, but I am a stranger to commander wiring. I have a fuse block installed that I will run my 12v constant and ground to, but I'm looking for the best keyed power source. I know there is a set of wires behind the dash that is there for additional electronics in other commander packages. My question is...would the power wire in that set work for my keyed power to my stereo or do I need to find another source?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
i just put mine on a switch to the battery..since you dont always want your radio on or maybe want it on when the commander is not running....just a thought. only issue is it doesnt svae your radio stations every time you turn it off..i dont listen to radio anyways

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just put mine on a switch to the battery..since you dont always want your radio on or maybe want it on when the commander is not running....just a thought. only issue is it doesnt svae your radio stations every time you turn it off..i dont listen to radio anyways
Yeah I was actually thinking about doing that also. I made an ice chest stereo that I had wired like that. I hardly listen to radio either, I just remember having to re-adjust audio settings each time. Not a problem though. And wired like that would also allow me to flip a switch and listen to the radio with the key off. I considered the keyed power route because I'm not sure if just saving your settings would be a big enough drain on the battery to worry about or not. Hmmmm....decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
178 Posts
X2 on the key thing, my stereo has more hours than the commander does. Make sure you use the correct power sources for your wiring, constant and accessory so the head unit will have its memory.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
X2 on the key thing, my stereo has more hours than the commander does. Make sure you use the correct power sources for your wiring, constant and accessory so the head unit will have its memory.
Dang I can't decide which way I want to wire it. I'll figure it out soon though. If I do use a switch I may mount the switch on the overhead console. That extra switch spot on the dash is reserved for some really bright lights to shine behind me :icon_ banana:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys...I might have just had a stroke of genius but I'm not completely sure that it would work but here goes. Ok besides the ground, I could hook up my yellow 12v constant wire to a 12v source so that my stereo retains its memory....and...Instead of hooking up the red wire to keyed power I could hook it up to a constant 12v source also but run it through a switch. That way I have the constant to retain memory settings and when I flip the switch the other source hits and the radio should come on just as it would when the key is turned on. What do yall think?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
sounds good..i forgot about the yellow...i just hooked my red and yellow together and ran to switch..i didnt want to tap into anything else as i had already for the winch

·
Registered
178 Posts
"Bing". Jbreeze, yep we are now in Clarksville tn and trying to unpack now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Funny I see this thread...I have burnt my battery twice from forgetting to turn the stereo off. I connect it to bluetooth everytime so I don't mind if it turns on and off through the key, I would actually prefer it how do I go about it? It's the SSV system and the only wires are a ground and live wire connected str8 to the battery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny I see this thread...I have burnt my battery twice from forgetting to turn the stereo off. I connect it to bluetooth everytime so I don't mind if it turns on and off through the key, I would actually prefer it how do I go about it? It's the SSV system and the only wires are a ground and live wire connected str8 to the battery.
Yeah im afraid i might leave mine also. Im used to stereos with 2 hot wires but i think in your case your best two options wld be to run your hot wire through a switch or hook it to a keyed power source. What i will probably do instead of splicing wires will be to get a fuse tap from an auto parts store and run my power directly from the fuse box. Just choose a fuse thats for a keyed power source.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts