Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installed a Jensen MS30 stereo in my commander along with a set of 6.50" speakers and a small marine amp. Works great, however, I am getting some pretty severe static/buzzing interference whenever I use it whether the machine is running or not. It was much worse this winter when the battery was drained, but is still present now that the battery is fully charged. The amp was mounted and grounded under the drivers seat. A relatively cheap amp wiring kit was used, perhaps the RCA's are too cheap and are receiving interference?

I did some research and there are several reasons that might cause this - power, speaker and amp signal wire run together, speaker/signal wires run by motor, power wire too small, ground wire too small, cheap RCA cables?

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what their fix was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Recently installed a Jensen MS30 stereo in my commander along with a set of 6.50" speakers and a small marine amp. Works great, however, I am getting some pretty severe static/buzzing interference whenever I use it whether the machine is running or not. It was much worse this winter when the battery was drained, but is still present now that the battery is fully charged. The amp was mounted and grounded under the drivers seat. A relatively cheap amp wiring kit was used, perhaps the RCA's are too cheap and are receiving interference?

I did some research and there are several reasons that might cause this - power, speaker and amp signal wire run together, speaker/signal wires run by motor, power wire too small, ground wire too small, cheap RCA cables?

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what their fix was.

I haven't wired mine up yet, but I'm not running an amp. I imagine that your ground on your amp or even your stereo is not sufficient. Make sure that you sand the paint off your grounding point. And make sure that you ground your stereo to the negative on your battery, not to the chassis.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since it does it when the vehicle is off, my guess is you're picking up noise from the ground. A ground loop isolator may help with this. A local Radio Shack might carry it and they're usually pretty affordable.

You definitely want to use good speaker wire though (and a bit thick) to get the most out of your amp and to help eliminate line noise.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Heavier gauge wire is always best and make sure you are grounding to clean bare metal. Add some paint afterwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts