Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody every hear of the rack bar breaking in half inside the steering assembly? I just got home from a 20 mile tow, in the mountains, snowing, in the dark. F*cking tie rods pulled right out from each end of the housing, broke where they meet the steering pinion. Good thing I was barely moving with the wife and 5 & 2 yr old with me. I jammed them back into the housing and ratchet strapped both steering knuckles together to keep the sh*t together. (didn't work well in deep mud and snow with 2 independent front wheels.

·
Super Moderator
23,022 Posts
I would say so. Guessing no warning before it snaps. I have quick ratio shaft and pinion gear somewhere around here if you want it !!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

I think this is the most common major broken issue? Atleast mine was still driveable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,542 Posts
Mine was teeth on the pinion gear chipping off and twisting the mounts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anybody every hear of the rack bar breaking in half inside the steering assembly? I just got home from a 20 mile tow, in the mountains, snowing, in the dark. F*cking tie rods pulled right out from each end of the housing, broke where they meet the steering pinion. Good thing I was barely moving with the wife and 5 & 2 yr old with me. I jammed them back into the housing and ratchet strapped both steering knuckles together to keep the sh*t together. (didn't work well in deep mud and snow with 2 independent front wheels.
Hey turbo392, we are sorry to hear about what happened and truly hope no one was hurt. Could you please send us an email to [email protected] or call us at 1-888-272-9222 as we would like to look into it and report on this incident. Please provide your VIN as well as a reference to your username or this forum when you contact us. We are looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Vanessa-BRPcare

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Wow! Someone at BRP cares. Maybe they will make it right for you.
They obviously don’t care about me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts