Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my drivers side steering boot is torn at the first crease.

Do I have to unbolt the tie rod end from the knuckle or can I just back the tie rod out of the tie rod end to slide the boot off/on?

What kind of grease do I put at the pivot of the rack? It has tan looking grease in there. I have some yamalube ultamatic (tan color), some yamalube polyurea (green) and some mystic hi temp multipurpose grease? One of these or should I get something else?

·
Super Moderator
25,807 Posts
Any grease better than no grease. You will have to take the outer rid end off the shaft to remove boot . Will be much easier to unbolt the rod end from knuckle. Ether way you will have to do a alignment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure about every commander... But on my 2015 XT, as I try to remember, the thinner boot (like the new one you show) is for the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my passenger side looks like - like it's gotta pair... Ha. 2 sizes in one. This is the new pass side. The one on it looks much the same.

I'm not changing this one as the old one is fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I marked the tie rod end, lock nut and tie rod with a paint pen. Then I used a dial caliper to measure from the lock nut to the last thread on the tie rod. When I put it back together, I put everything in the same spot. I don't think I'll have to do an alignment since I did that.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
You will be fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. These boots were some I got off eBay. $14.99 for the pair shipped. The rubber seemed nice and elastic. But who knows, they may dry rot quick. Apparently the factory ones weren't that great. Bike only has 450 miles on it now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered my boot kit this week gonna try to make an attempt on fixing my driver side tie rod boot. Pics and tips would be helpful bc this is my first rodeo

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered my boot kit this week gonna try to make an attempt on fixing my driver side tie rod boot. Pics and tips would be helpful bc this is my first rodeo
There’s tips and pics throughout this thread. Anything particular that you’re curious about?

My cheap eBay replacement boot is still holding up fine 3 years and 1500 miles later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ordered these boots, they're sposed to fit my XTP:
AllBalls 51-3002

For the passenger side the big end of the boot is smaller than the drivers side, it's actually smaller than the knuckle joint, is there a trick to getting the boot over the knuckle or dis I get the wrong boots?

·
Super Moderator
25,807 Posts
I maybe confused by the way you worded it. But you have to take the outer rid end off to slide the boot up the shaft. Then of course a alignment will need to be done .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I maybe confused by the way you worded it. But you have to take the outer rid end off to slide the boot up the shaft. Then of course a alignment will need to be done .
OK, took the outer tied rod off but before I did I made sure I know where it was and cut the old boot off.
The end of the new boot that you zip tie to the diff is smaller than the ujoint it protects, so it's going to be tricky getting the boot over it.
The All Balls piece seems a bit thinner than the factory one I took off, you hope it will stretch a bit and slide up over the knuckle but it's so thin it just kinda buckles under instead.

I only gave it a quick try at the end of the day, will see if I can work it over with a coat hanger or something tomorrow.

Funny the YouTube videos on tie rod replacement only show the driver's side being worked on... :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
25,807 Posts
I used those boots on my 13. Greased the boot and it went right over the ball socket. If you have a hair dryer hear the boot up it will soften and get a little more stretchy .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts