Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been noticing an oil leak so i took the panels off and this Only place on the stator cover that i can find a leak. Should i loosen bolts enough and put some silicone rtv and retighten. Or take stator cover off and put a new gasket ?

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
There is a O-ring under that crank sensor that gets hard from heat . Remove it and go to your auto parts store and buy a new o-ring for .75 cents and your set

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a O-ring under that crank sensor that gets hard from heat . Remove it and go to your auto parts store and buy a new o-ring for .75 cents and your set
Hard to tell from the pic but i took a flashlight and looked around the sensor and it is dry around it. I took carb cleaner and sprayed and cleaned where the stator gasket is and there is a small leak to the left of the bolt where the cover meets the case

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to tell from the pic but i took a flashlight and looked around the sensor and it is dry around it. I took carb cleaner and sprayed and cleaned where the stator gasket is and there is a small leak to the left of the bolt where the cover meets the case

Edit it is right at the little raised spot in the mold on the case

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Where the wires come out of the cover is a spot that seeps oil on many

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where the wires come out of the cover is a spot that seeps oil on many
Yeah I remember reading one of your older posts where you mentioned that and i looked there first and no leak. Should i remove the whole cover and reseal or maybe loosen it enough to get some rtv sealant in theleak spot and retorque ?

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
If you crack the cover loose you better install a new gasket .
My outlander started leaking out of the stator wire bundle so I took compressed air and brake cleaner to where the wires come out . I got them clean and dry , then I used black gasket maker silicone and worked some into the wire group next to the engine . It has been leak free since I did it .

Reactions: Bill_Rowe

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
If you crack the cover loose you better install a new gasket .
My outlander started leaking out of the stator wire bundle so I took compressed air and brake cleaner to where the wires come out . I got them clean and dry , then I used black gasket maker silicone and worked some into the wire group next to the engine . It has been leak free since I did it .
Good information. Will you be traveling through Henderson CO anytime soon to show me this process in person. Thanks, Booger.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
I don’t think so as I am having a bit of some health setbacks . Fall ride is in question ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a little silicone in it and no more leaks :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
My 2012 1000 XT is leaking at the exact same spot, verified it today while chasing a bad oil leak that has been driving me nuts and making a mess of everything underneath...
LEAK.png

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did this work?? Did u end up just cracking it loose and getting a bit of silicone in there??my commander is doing the exact same thing at the exact same spot
Yes worked for me Loosened it a bit and worked some silicone in there and let it sit to skin over and then tightened back up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts