Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the brightest on wiring. Stereo has power and ground wire, i also have a toggle switch i want to install to cut off power, so do i wire the power/ground wire from stereo through the toggle switch to the battery or is there somewhere else i need to wire the toggle switch and stereo to?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Use a relay.

Key on power from the 12V accessory plug, to the switch, to the relay. This will be the turn on/off, both manually (switch) and key on power (key on, power; key off, no power).

Pull + cable from battery to an inline fuse, to the relay, to another inline fuse, to stereo.

Image for effect:

-Kris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So tap in to the wire going to the cigarette plug in(12V accessory)? Not sure I understand the first part. Doing it this way will I still be able to have the stereo on when the key is off? Run the power from the stereo to the relay and wire relay to battery?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
There should be 2 power wires if it is a standard head unit. One constant hot and the other switched. You can wire them both to the switch but it wont remember any presets.

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an SSV Works, only has a red and black wire, no acc wire coming from it. Is there a way to somehow wire it through the switch and it still have memory?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Ok then...disregard what I said earlier. Not sure how it is set up.

Steve

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
The SSV works stereo has it's own on/off switch not seeing the point in wanting another one? Mine is wired direct to batt with inline fuse no issues in 6000 miles. I'm no expert electrician but I think the relay is a bit overkill more suited for larger draw items such as a 240 watt light bar.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The whole reason I want a switch is to turn the stereo "on" when the key is off, or "off" when its on. That being said mine dint come with an inline fuse since it was a demo, what size fuse is the inline fuse? Back to the wiring question will the rocker switch accommodate what i'm trying to do with just an inline fuse and wired directly through the switch?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also realize its hard wired so it will come off and on without the witch regardless of the key being on or off but i would like to cut of power completely if needed.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I know what you are trying to do as I did something similar with a USB jack I mounted as a charger for my tablet/GPS. It is powered when I turn the key on but I can also flip a switch and send power to it when the Commander is off and I'm sitting somewhere. To keep from there being issues from backfeeding I installed a Schotky diode in each line. A diode is kinda like a check valve that will only let electricity flow one way. A Shotky diode is one that doesn't restrict the flow very much. They are cheap...less than 10 bucks for 4 or 5. I just soldered them in the wires and covered it in heat shrink. Here is what I used..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056RHMCG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts