Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just installed new tracks (Apache 360 LT) on the commander. was out around the house a few times with it and it was working great so decided to take it out for a longer run. ran fine for about 30 mins or so then it started to get hot and sputtering/cutting out like its misfiring or not getting enough gas. anyone have advise before I bring it in to the stealer and pay an arm and a leg. just want to know if its normal that its heating up. conditions yesterday was sunny and around 0 degrees Celsius. when I stop and let cool down I can go another 5-10 mins then it starts sputtering again.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
Check to see if your fan is working , I can go all day with my tracks on and never over heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
Is your rad plugged full of snow on the front side . You should never over heat . I had my rad get plugged with snow so for ten minutes I reversed the fan motor wires and turned the fan on and let it run . Melted the snow out then put the wires back to stock .

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Is your cvt air intake filter plugging/icing with powder snow, could cause the whole mess to ice and plug up? I read it's common with the tracks and you did not mention checking it.

·
Registered
12,862 Posts
I don't even use my clutch air filter in the winter

·
Registered
154 Posts
When the fan kicks in how many bars are you at? When the temperature returns to 3 bars will it run fine again or do u have to shut the machine down for 10 minutes or so?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been out twice since and so far it hasnt happened again. the day that I was having the issue it was around +2, riding on hard packed all day. No powder so rad/filter was clear not plugged. I was running it pretty hard for most of the day. I'll keep my fingers crossed. if the issues comes back I'll try the basics (filter, plugs....) thanks for the input. The only thing that I have changed is that the coolant levels were extremely low so I topped it up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check hoses...tstat fitting....coolant is going somewhere if u lost some..or did u change it totally...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also disconnect the CVT filter above the driver side dash i also tape the opening so no air or snow gets in there when I have tracks on

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has happened again twice in the past few weeks. not enough snow to plug or clog anything. temp gauge is normal goes up and when the fan kicks in it comes back down. it seems to only happen when riding for long distances, could it be that the belt is worn and when ridden hard and long that it slips when I gun it. when I stop for a few minutes it runs fine again. I will be changing my belt (long over due) and hopping that it does the trick. the frustrating part is that it does not do it all the time, only when riding for long periods of time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts