Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if any of you guys ever check or change out the spark arrestor? I've had my unit now for seven years and probably something I should consider. Saw a video that mentioned it can lead to overheating if its clogged or partially clogged.

·
Administrator
27,013 Posts
If you aren't checking it every service. Might as well wait till it's a problem. Then you van drive the nuts out and fix it all at same time. You might get lucky and the bokts cone out. But I wouldn't put money on it .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Anytime if you do deep mud etc. I’ve only cleaned mine once and that was after riding with the guys from WV. I guess it depends on what kind of riding you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
No mud worry about it when or if it clogs up.

I agree with Acefire. Like my previous post, it depends on where you ride. The dirt/mud where you are could clog it up every time or you can ride for years without worrying about the spark arrestor. If you aren’t required to have it where you are, I’d just remove it.

·
Administrator
27,013 Posts
I ran 3000 miles before it clogged up on my commander. But boog swamped his on one mud hole In WV. I also dropped my quad in same hole first ride out when it was new. And spark arrester was clogged up the next time I started after riding home that day.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with Acefire. Like my previous post, it depends on where you ride. The dirt/mud where you are could clog it up every time or you can ride for years without worrying about the spark arrestor. If you aren’t required to have it where you are, I’d just remove it.

You know I was wondering about the removal thing myself. In one were to do this could it possibly create another issue of some kind? Is this thing nothing more than what it says, just designed to keep some rogue spark from jumping out of your muffler and catching the woods on fire? Have either of you removed yours or is that one of those don't ask don't tell questions? Kinda like one of those crazy CA laws, removing your spark arrestor has been known to cause cancer :LOL:

·
Administrator
27,013 Posts
It's actually a forest service law. No matter where you are off road. If the check and it's not they it won't be cheap. It is just to prevent sparks from starting wild fires. If the bolts are seize up they will spring the nut insert loose in the muffler. Then you have to get the nut insert out ad replace with new nutsert.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts