Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Commander Friends,
What do you guys use to carry your spare tire? I am looking at the receiver hitch carriers, but still not sure direction I want to go. Give me some advice please. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Hello Commander Friends,
What do you guys use to carry your spare tire? I am looking at the receiver hitch carriers, but still not sure direction I want to go. Give me some advice please. Thanks.
I built a Roof Rack using "Engineers Erector Set" materials available from Mcmaster Carr.
And Teak cross slats, light and easy to build and access tire.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought this one a couple months ago and it is great. But be prepared to do some cutting, grinding, etc if you have the oem bedrails. The spare tire mount is not notched to fit around the bedrails. Also, it bolts to the tiedown points in the bed, and mine wasn't perfectly aligned, so some swearing, cussing, etc. ensued until I was able to get it to bolt up. It doesn't come with lugnuts to hold the spare on. The bed still tilts perfectly with this mount & spare tire installed.

Scott

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I had absolutely no issues installing mine except a few dropped nuts. And i have the oem
Bed rails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Here's how I had to notch the tire carrier.

Scott
Just curious, not that it matters for this thread. What year is your machine? My bed rails only mount front and rear where yours look like they have a bottom plate running the length of them. Maybe it’s just the way it looks in the picture. If that’s just the bed plastics then its a different molding than mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's how I had to notch the tire carrier.

Scott
Just curious, not that it matters for this thread. What year is your machine? My bed rails only mount front and rear where yours look like they have a bottom plate running the length of them. Maybe it’s just the way it looks in the picture. If that’s just the bed plastics then its a different molding than mine.
What you see there is part of the spare tire carrier. It's held in place at the in bed tie downs and the 4(?) screws along the top edge of the bed.

Scott

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine sits flat in bed, used flat iron under bed floor and mounted 2 bolts thru floor snugged down with lock nuts to the floor to sit tire on with 2 lugs on it. No rattles real tight and on it's side still stays tight, don't ask how I know that. Cooler sits on top strapped down all good and under $30 with no unobstructed view from mirrors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts