Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After making the mistake of posting this in the electric commander forum and not the commander electric forum.... I'll repost it here and hopefully a mod can delete it over there.

Long story short.

Went to start commander to mount blade. Hasnt been ran in a few months. Dead battery.

Hooked up charger. Cycled key after a few minutes to make sure she was getting power. Turned key off. Waited a few more minutes. Hit the starter. It briefly cranked, and then made a pop, like a fuse, and now is dead. I mean like I dont even have a battery in it type of dead.

Light bar, radio all work. All accessories that dont go through the main commander fuse block work.

I cant find a blown fuse in the fuse block, and theres a 2nd 40 amp fuse kind of chilling next to the fuse block that looks factory. It seems fine. Wires all look tight. Ran fine when I parked it.

Am I missing a fuse, or circuit breaker someplace?

2017 mossy oak edition 1000.

I dont have the "main fuse panel" like I've seen. I have fuse links, but cant find them. They are supposed to be on top of the battery box, I pulled it all out and all I have up there is what looks like a starting selenoid.

20201114_133747.jpg

20201114_133747.jpg

Should be simple enough fix if I can find them

Attachments

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I don’t have any answers for you but somebody will chime in that’s heard of this before. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, after trying like hell and realizing that there are absolutely no fusible links or main fuses in this thing...I bit the bullet, picked up a new battery so I could start tracing current and voltage.

Machine fired right up.

My best guess is that the battery itself was internally shorted. Shorting out my entire electrical system. That'sthe only thing I can come up with.

Strangely enough, I couldn't get power to anything with the battery charger hooked up. I'm guessing it was shorting it out as well.

shrugs at least I didn't tear it completely apart.

I'm still confused as the what the thing is on top of the battery box, it looks like a selenoid, but the book says fusible links. I think something is funky.

·
Super Moderator
25,539 Posts
Shorted battery will kill everything even with charger. Not worked on anything new enough to see one if those fusible links . So can't help you there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That'swhere my confusion also is. But new battery and everything worked.

So I have absolutely no idea. Regardless. fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My thoughts are that you heard the solenoid click. The battery had just enough power left in it for the intial click. Then not enough for the next. Led lights and radio take very little to run. Thats why they would still work. Anyways your good for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kind of eliminated that possibility when i had a battery charger on it the entire time. Once again, im not sure what happened. How it happened. All i know is that somehow, that battery was so wrecked, that it was shorting out, not only itself, but the entire system.

Also, when i took it into the parts house for an exchange, the parts guy checked it and said he gets a lot of those batteries in with shorts.

The stereo was running, the light bar and rear lights also LED but the stereo runs though an amp and it was running. So im thinking, somehow the short wasnt bad enough to short out those electronics, but it definitely made my computer in the machine mad. Thats my guess. and like i said, battery charger on it the whole time. Its not one of those stupid shumacker or whatever they are walmart brand chargers either. its on OG fleet charger that's probably older than i am. I had it down on its lowest setting. But it doesn't have any cut off circuit or anything on it. If it says its gonna give you 10 amps, you are getting 10 amps, regardless of what its hooked to.

i know it was getting power through that, because as soon as i would unhook it, everything would stop working. either way, it all boils down to the battery. Old battery...didnt work...new battery works. So how could it ever be anything but the battery? machine is running fine since. started right up today when i went to move it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Agree it was the battery and your battery charger was keeping some circuits alive. But if you had the charger on it's lowest setting, 10A, that would not be enough to turn the starter. Some voltage but not high enough voltage will make the computer mad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts