Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit I am not as seasoned a Commander rider as the rest of you but I am not having an easy time understanding the physics and bad luck that were at play when you broke them. These things look beefy to me and I know many of you would disagree with me on that . . . . but I really want to know how you came about to do it so I can avoid the same fate.

I am sure others would benefit too!

So the purpose of this thread . . . . . .

:( tell the world how you did it, axle or diff
:( provide tips and suggestions how to avoid it
:( a picture would be great if you have one
:( tell us if it was OEM or after market that broke
:( and how you made it out / off the trail

·
Registered
317 Posts
If your bike starts bouncing stop....
Don't turn your wheels all the way and try to climb out of the hole on the sides....
Don't hook up to the guy in the hole and try to pull backwards with all your weight on the front....

Don't use an Outlander to pull out a Rhino.... Through shaft the first time and rear drive shaft the second....

And lastly whatever you do don't go left!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
The "Don't go left" was a joke from a ride a while back. I was on my Grizzly and I told them to go left and they didn't. I did and broke my front right axle... Nasty hole and bank.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See I did not know this, turning hard left or right and powering up I knew was bad from my Dads snow plowing . .. . this is good information . . .bouncing . . was not aware!

keep it coming!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
The "when in doubt throttle out" rule needs common sense.....but thats hard to teach!

·
Registered
479 Posts
The "when in doubt throttle out" rule needs common sense.....but thats hard to teach!
But it always sounds good at the time :) and when bud light said you can think twice haha
I'll try and get som picks up I just broke a cv this weekend

·
Registered
479 Posts
Broke a front drivers side cv had it in little bit of a bind and I also had the wheels turned all the way to the left:icon_ nono2:
image.jpg

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
And one more
image.jpg

·
Registered
479 Posts
View attachment 8746
This one was do to a full crank to the right
These were all stock cv joints and have been through three of them I have not had any problems yet with the STI axles the first one broke do to a bent tie rod was on the way home and it finely broke at the threads and that was do to climbing a ditch in 4x4 and landed with to much wheel spin

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Common sense goes a long way, it's what I was told years ago. Thing's break and sometimes there isn't a rime or reason but in most cases it's the person driving that is the cause even though we don't like to admit it for one reason or another, myself included.
I don't push mine nearly as much as some but have used it in some pretty tough conditions even with the 2" puck lift and plowing heavy snow and haven't had a single problem. I know I just shot myself in the foot but how you drive these makes all the difference in how they hold up. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Common sense goes a long way, it's what I was told years ago. Thing's break and sometimes there isn't a rime or reason but in most cases it's the person driving that is the cause even though we don't like to admit it for one reason or another, myself included.
I don't push mine nearly as much as some but have used it in some pretty tough conditions even with the 2" puck lift and plowing heavy snow and haven't had a single problem. I know I just shot myself in the foot but how you drive these makes all the difference in how they hold up. Just my 2 cents.
^This is hitting the nail on the head. Anything can be broken with enough force. Im new to the commanders, but ive been around rock crawling and jeeps for awhile. The number one thing ive seen break stuff is the "bouncing". you basically dont have any traction then suddenly one wheel will grab and all force goes to that axle. Ive broke a Dana 44 axle this way in my old jeep, and Ive even seen someone break a 2.5 ton rockwell axle with alot of skinny pedal and bounce.

·
Registered
317 Posts
X2. Only problem is common sense just isn't that common...

·
Registered
479 Posts
this last one caught me off guard as you see the drivers wheel was off the ground and when it was its turn to spin it broke so not to sure y maybe it was week

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've broke axles being to hard on the throttle, and just riding around, but I'm sure they where weakened. Turner axles are the only ones I've had hold up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've broke axles being to hard on the throttle, and just riding around, but I'm sure they where weakened. Turner axles are the only ones I've had hold up.
I like to hear that. I have a set of Turners on order for my front. Have a spare set of Gorillas for the rear. After I go through the Gorillas I'll order some Turner Evo's for the rear.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
My right foot is pretty ruff & tuff on axles + the fact that "if" you break a tie-rod and that wheel rotates fully inward, there is nothing to stop it from taking out an outer CV Joint. The only steering "stop" or limiter is the stop on the A Arm on the opposing side. There is no steering stop on the spindle & A arm to limit inward rotation.
Turn your steering wheel full to the right and look at the front of the drivers side lower A Arm (at the spindle) and you will see what I'm talking about. The pass. side will be against the stop
I have a set of Cobra's on the front now. Only 3 rides and about 150 miles, but ................... so far, so good. Supposed to be able to handle about 45* angle :), whereas the stockers are only about 30*

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have not broken anything YET...

Then again I went to a Rackzilla and HD tie Rods fairly quickly when everything I had was basically stock.

I am currently running the Holz long travel that replaces the Axles and Tie Rods with there stuff that they claim are much stronger than stock or the Rackzilla Tie Rods. CVs are all stock but have seemed to hold up well for me. I will admit that I am not romping on it all the time guy. But I do get on it hard and ride some fairly tough areas.

I was also up until recently I was running stock wheels and tires.

I have noticed that there are more issues with Axles, CVs and Tie Rods breaking with guys who are running very tall and heavy tires with very aggressive treads. So I am guessing the added weight and added height causes more stress and tends to breake things.

I tried to take that in to account with my choice of tires/wheels but not going as tall or heavy with the tire and lighting the wheel up some using the OMF beadlocks.

Here is hoping that it doesn't break but the Holz Long Travel should add a lot of strength to everything.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to admit I am not as seasoned a Commander rider as the rest of you but I am not having an easy time understanding the physics and bad luck that were at play when you broke them. These things look beefy to me and I know many of you would disagree with me on that . . . . but I really want to know how you came about to do it so I can avoid the same fate.

I am sure others would benefit too!

So the purpose of this thread . . . . . .

:( tell the world how you did it, axle or diff
:( provide tips and suggestions how to avoid it
:( a picture would be great if you have one
:( tell us if it was OEM or after market that broke
:( and how you made it out / off the trail

, , , , and based on some replies, did taking the axle out take out anything else or did something else take the axle out!?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts