Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experienceing their battery slowly draining over a period of time ? I noticed this after I would leave it sit without starting it for awhile. At first i just thought it was the stock battery going bad. Then I Installed a brand new Oddyssey PC925L and its doing the same. I have disconnected all of accessarys I have Installed and i stll get a light spark when I connect the Battery Ground cable. I will continue to isolate circuits starting with the dash and ECM as I suspect they may have on board memory that needs a constant +12vdc.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I haven't let mine sit long enough, lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't really noticed, the longest mine has sat is probably 3-4months & it started up no problem. If you are checking for a draw, I would imagine it will spark or show a draw immediately after hooking up your meter or test light to the battery - post & ground lead. The Commander has some type of accessory delay that keeps the dash lights,taillights,etc on for a couple of min after you turn the key off. I would give it 20-30 min before testing for a draw. I would think up to 5 mili amps would be acceptable since they have a clock and such in the instrament cluster, it needs some power to retain the memory. The Fords I work on, we have to wait 40-45min before checking for a draw due to the accessory delay and I assume they are somewhat similiar just less complicated.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been checking it everyday with out turning ignition on. The Stock battery would be down to 6 volts in about a week so i thought it was the battery. I recharged it and it has only dropped a few tenths of a volt in the last 4 days. The ne Odseey has drop a 1/2 volt in 2 days.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I assume a battery tender would solve this problem right? I just put the quick disconnect for one on mine the other day.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Your on it Steve....disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery and use your milli-amp meter inline....then pull each fuse to isolate.....

If you can't find the culprit after all circuits been tested, then check those diodes in the fuse box....if one is bad, it will let power backtrack and energize that circuit when it's not suppose to....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase a PC925L battery? Also it looks a lot bigger than the stock battery is that sso?

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your on it Steve....disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery and use your milli-amp meter inline....then pull each fuse to isolate.....

If you can't find the culprit after all circuits been tested, then check those diodes in the fuse box....if one is bad, it will let power backtrack and energize that circuit when it's not suppose to....
Yea that is my next step Lance. Was not aware of Diodes in the fuse box. What purpose do they serve?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Diodes are used in dc circuits to allow current flow in one direction or to block current flow in the oppisit direction

·
Registered
806 Posts

Yea that is my next step Lance. Was not aware of Diodes in the fuse box. What purpose do they serve?
Not sure of our Commanders, but my 2006 Rotax in the Rhino had at least 2 of them, D1 & D2...they look just like the fuses, so make sure you pull the diodes out of the fuse box when troubleshooting all fuses one at a time....D2 was for the starter free-wheeling and can't remember what D1 was for.....seriously, I think those diodes only get power when the switch was on tho...so if pulling all your fuses one at a time doesn't kill that minute draw, we'll go to phase 2...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Haha...something about giving a fish to eat for 1 day or teach to fish and eat for life.....I don't want you to be hungry tomorrow!.....lol

Phase 2 is...do you have a winch installed using the factory harness?....if yes, is the winch from BRP or an aftermart?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a similar problem with my xt. I went through 3 batteries with the dealer before they finally figured out it was a problem with the voltage regulator. They eventually fixed under warranty and I have not had any problems since.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha...something about giving a fish to eat for 1 day or teach to fish and eat for life.....I don't want you to be hungry tomorrow!.....lol

Phase 2 is...do you have a winch installed using the factory harness?....if yes, is the winch from BRP or an aftermart?
I am using a Viper Winch and yes i am using the factory contactor control wiring. That is going to be the first fuse I will be pulling during my testing. I have already disconnected the stearo and CB and still get the draw.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had a similar problem with my xt. I went through 3 batteries with the dealer before they finally figured out it was a problem with the voltage regulator. They eventually fixed under warranty and I have not had any problems since.

Was it a non charging issue or a short in the regulator draing the Battery when sitting for awhile?

·
Registered
806 Posts

I am using a Viper Winch and yes i am using the factory contactor control wiring. That is going to be the first fuse I will be pulling during my testing. I have already disconnected the stearo and CB and still get the draw.
Disconnect all ground wires from the winch relay and check the meter ...if that doesn't make any difference, disconnect the voltage regulator as was suggested ...it is tied to the 650 watt stator that could have a draw

But hit all of the simple circuits first of course

Sent by my twin-turbo Droid Razr

·
Registered
160 Posts
My issue was a slow battery drain, much as you describe. I would leave the commander for a few days and I could not start it, because the battery was dead. The dealer kept thinking it was a bad battery and kept replacing the battery The problem eventually culminated in me getting a "high voltage" dash warning, just before the machine went into limp home mode and the commander eventually died minutes later without any battery power. (note, the commander will NOT run without a charge in the battery).

The dealer contacted brp because of the recurrent problem, and they replaced the voltage regulator. Since then, I have not had any further issues. I can leave my machine for a month at a time and start it without any problem. Hope this helps?!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts