Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a 2014 commander 800 and after a couple rides the belt started to slip about 30-40 min into the ride. If I shut it down for a while it would be fine again but only for about 20-30 min. So I ordered a new belt and replaced the old one (that didn’t look that bad).
2nd ride on the new belt and it’s also slipping.
when I changed the first one I noticed there was allot of gunk, almost grease like crap in where the belt is. I cleaned it all out thinking it might have been a residue from belt slipping?
when I put the new belt on I spun the one housing till the belt was pretty tight, should I maybe have gone tighter ? I’m new to these side by sides and am at a loss as to why yhe new belt is slipping already. Help…

·
Administrator
27,013 Posts
Need to figure out where the grease is coming from. You may have a Crank seal leaking into the box. Or the one way bearing is leaking . Any greae or water and it's going to slip. Once you rev it up and let off the Throttle belt will self tighten so that shouldn't have been the issue .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need to figure out where the grease is coming from. You may have a Crank seal leaking into the box. Or the one way bearing is leaking . Any greae or water and it's going to slip. Once you rev it up and let off the Throttle belt will self tighten so that shouldn't have been the issue .

Should it have been totally dry and clean in there ?

·
Administrator
27,013 Posts
No thing in side the case . The one way is greases but only in the middle nothing should be on the outside . If so it will sling right up the sheaces . Everything else should be bone dry .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I cleaned it all out and put a new belt on. 2 hours into the ride it started slipping again. Just opened up the clutch housing cover and it’s covered with grease or oil again. I can’t tell where it’s coming from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Forgive me because I’m new, when looking at the clutch where the belt is, is the crank the one on the right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I just picked up a 2014 commander 800 and after a couple rides the belt started to slip about 30-40 min into the ride. If I shut it down for a while it would be fine again but only for about 20-30 min. So I ordered a new belt and replaced the old one (that didn’t look that bad).
2nd ride on the new belt and it’s also slipping.
when I changed the first one I noticed there was allot of gunk, almost grease like crap in where the belt is. I cleaned it all out thinking it might have been a residue from belt slipping?
when I put the new belt on I spun the one housing till the belt was pretty tight, should I maybe have gone tighter ? I’m new to these side by sides and am at a loss as to why yhe new belt is slipping already. Help…
Opened it up and it’s covered in grease , oil again. Can’t tell where it’s coming from

·
Administrator
27,013 Posts
If covered in oil it's got to be the Crank seal or the gearbox Input shaft seal .

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
The gearbox input/countershaft seal is the most likely to leak. Either requires complete removal of both clutches and the inner part of the cvt cover. Then you can pop out the seal and install a new one, the inner lips of the seal need to be well oiled/greased. If you do it yourself self we can get more detailed.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Forgive me because I’m new, when looking at the clutch where the belt is, is the crank the one on the right?
Crank is on the left.......crankshaft, primary, one-way, etc. Right side is secondary, transmission, gearbox, helix, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts