Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title pretty much says it all I was driving at night machine is a 2020 can am commander max dps 800 less than 2 hours on it and I guess I didn’t have it in gear all the way and it slipped out of high gear going about 20 mph. Terrible grinding noise I stopped as quick as I could. Put it back in gear and it drives fine. I know it did some damage within the tranny. But with it being quick and not long am I ok or am I screwed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Man, that sucks! I'd be in the dealer's ear telling them it slipped outta gear. That shouldn't be happening

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, that sucks! I'd be in the dealer's ear telling them it slipped outta gear. That shouldn't be happening

Well like I said I believe it was truly my fault and I just didn’t have it in gear all the way a stupid mistake. I will watch it now and make sure it’s not a linkage issue or whatever just Incase I do need to be In there ear. I’m just wondering did I do catastrophic damage in that split second?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You said you put it back in gear and it drives fine. The gearbox is purely mechanical, no pumps or anything, just gears, bearings seals and the shift mechanism. So you’re probably fine. If you did do damage, you’ll notice it shortly. But you’re probably ok.

I would drain and replace the gearbox oil and run it. If there’s a problem it’ll show up quickly. Note on at least the first change you’ll see some metal in the oil regardless of whether you did any damage.

Worst case scenario is a new gearbox, which is about $2k, or just some new gears (not all of which are available separately) I’ve replaced my gearbox before, a pita but doable.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would think if you were driving it then it was in gear properly. I would take it up with the dealer while it is under warranty. It seems that when there is a problem with these gearboxes it is usually high gear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That was my thought. If it's in gear and driving, you didn't do anything wrong. It slipped. Take it to the dealer and don't act like you did something wrong, act like it malfunctioned and you want to know why and what they're going to do to fix it

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I tend to agree. It’s either in gear or it’s not. It would take a little effort to get it where it’s just partially engaged. Ive never done it in 2500 miles and most of my driving is relatively short distances followed by shifting. But he should know I suppose.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You might check shifter adjustment, unless someone bumped it while riding. I agree with Slowin, I'd bet it's fine, and you'd never know 100% unless you looked at the gears. I wouldn't take it to the dealer unless it is under warranty, and you're reasonably sure that it's damaged(keeps popping out of gear, bad noises, bigger metal pieces in gear oil), etc. shifter.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it's a 2020 with 2 hrs on it, it's under warranty. Even if the shifter just needs to be adjusted I'd let them do it. They can check for damage, change fluids, adjust if needed, and should be covered by the warranty

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it's a 2020 with 2 hrs on it, it's under warranty. Even if the shifter just needs to be adjusted I'd let them do it. They can check for damage, change fluids, adjust if needed, and should be covered by the warranty

Totally agree.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree also.
Mention to your sales rep "Is it supposed to slip out like this?" then next time you take it in get it documented. You never know what's gonna happen down the road....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd definitely mention it to the dealer. And I'd do it now. Just to get it on record that it was running fine but then came out of gear and made a bad grinding noise. Then ask them "What do I need to do?" A good dealer will say "Bring it in and let us check it out". With most dealers you'll have to add "Should I..." to the beginning of the sentence.
I doubt it's anything you did. If it wasn't engaged properly it likely would have popped out when you first moved. Shift cable adjustment is pretty finicky and it may do it again. I certainly wouldn't chance it on a new one.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts

The big gear on the top right is one of the gears that gets locked in . Next to that large gear you can see what looks like posts that go into the large gear . When a gearbox pops out of gear these (posts ) get rounded off and the mating hole gets a damaged engagement hole. It does not take much to do damage that can come back to bite you later on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2018 when it was new. The problem I found was when going from low to high the transmission wasn’t actually shifting and was staying in low even though the shift lever moved. Then when I got moving it would slip out of gear. I replaced the one way bearings with some easier spinning ones and that solved my issue.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2018 when it was new. The problem I found was when going from low to high the transmission wasn’t actually shifting and was staying in low even though the shift lever moved. Then when I got moving it would slip out of gear. I replaced the one way bearings with some easier spinning ones and that solved my issue.
Nice. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That happened to mine a few times. Finally, I took it in for warranty and they said can am wouldn't except it. They showed me a bulletin that showed damaged gears and said it was from shifting on the fly. I assure you, I never shifted on the fly. The dealer did step up and swallowed about half the cost themselves and I took the other half.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for all the responses. So a little update I drove the sxs for about 4 hours the other day so 6 hours on the unit total. I was at park with trails and it didn’t happen a single time and I shifted basically all day to see if it was me or the unit. Rode fine all day no issues so maybe the occurrence was me and I just need to be vigilant to not let it happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts