Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Defender H8 with 2000 miles on it, almost all on flat roads. Lately it has a slight surging when I start moving but am still going very slow (not pulling anything and on flat ground). It is rather minor but did not do this when new that is why I am noticing it now. It seems to be coming from the CVT and no indication it's the engine. My guess is that the CVT / belt may be dusty and just need a good cleaning.

Am I correct in saying that there is no CVT belt tightening adjustment? That the CVT belt is self adjusting. Has anyone had the experience where dust in the CVT can cause such slow speed surge?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could try a new belt and clean the clutches. Both of my hd10s surge at like 2 mph. The rpms will bounce up and down a bit causing it to surge. I think it might actually be in the tuning. I have thought about sending my ecu to get flashed but I usually only keep them about 2 years and trade them off anyways so I just don't worry about it.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,194 Posts
At 2 mph your clutch isn’t engaging fully that’s why it’s surging . The belt is actually slipping do to moving to slowing to fully engage the belt . As it slips the rpm increase engages the belt then do to slow speed it releases again causing the slip .

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is what I always thought till I tried it in neutral and the rpms would still surge. That is why I think it might be in the tuning.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm now thinking that just as you say, there is some dust in the CVT and that's all there is to it. The funny thing is that I couldn't get it to surge yesterday at all. Go figure.

But thanks again for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts